Chapter 27 - Cut your losses

Lyra

(Most dialogue between Lily and Severus belongs to J.K. Rowling. Long chapter today.)

I slouched, angrily muttering, on the Gryffindor common room couch. I abruptly pushed myself out of my lazy manner and strode over to a mirror, hanging on the wall across from me. A familiar girl with glossy copper coloured hair pulled back into its signature ponytail, amber eyes, high cheekbones that were covered with a dusting of freckles and small lips. But, she had a large scowl spread across them and fury sparkled in her eyes that were red from crying.

A creak in the floorboards startled the girl, breaking her from her reverie. As soon as she had recovered from the initial surprise from so rudely being plucked out of her trance, she flung an arm across her eyes, wiping away the stray tears. Of course this girl was me and I was merely narrating my own life in my mind. The apocalypse is on its way.

Lily stood in the doorway, Mary walking in after her. Lily was wearing a nightgown, retorting back at her. "Tell him to go away." Mary shook her head. "He said he will stay out there all night." I decided to make it known that I was there.

"Who?" Mary's head snapped toward me and had begun to answer, until Lily beat her to it.

"Snivellus."

Mary and I both gaped in shock at Lily's use of the nickname. "Since when do you call him that?"

"Since he called me a Mudblood."

"Just go out and see him. You sure, Lils?" Mary sent a challenging look her way and scowled.

With a heavy sigh, Lily walked out the portrait hole.

I laughed humourlessly. "That escalated quickly."

Lily

I scowled as I spotted Severus, waiting in the corridor. He turned and, seeing me, his face lightened before falling when he noticed my expression. He spoke up hurriedly.

"I'm sorry."

"I'm not interested."

"I'm sorry!"

"Save your breath." I shifted my feet. "I only came out because Mary told me you were threatening to sleep here."

His face regained some colour. "I was. I would have done. I never meant to call you Mudblood, it just-"

"Slipped out?" My voice was void of emotion, especially pity. "It's too late. I've made excuses for you for years. None of my friends can understand why I even talk to you, except Ly and only because she was once a Slytherin. You and your precious little Death Eater friends- you see, you don't even deny it! You don't even deny that's what you're all aiming to be! You can't wait to join You-Know-Who, can you?"

He stayed silent, opening his mouth before closing it. Another fact crossed my mind.

"You're not even going to apologize to Ly, are you?" Still he remained silent. "I can't pretend anymore. You've chosen your way, I've chosen mine."

He finally spoke again, heat rushing to his white face. "No- listen, I didn't mean-"

"-to call me Mudblood? But you call everyone of my birth Mudblood, Severus. Why should I be any different?"

He seemed to struggle for words as though he had something to say but didn't know how to voice it. I didn't give him the opportunity to, though. I turned on my heel and climbed back through the portrait hole.

Lyra

I shot an apologetic look at Lily as she ran out of the common room. I hurriedly stood and peaked my head through the portrait hole, careful to not let Snape see me, whom was facing the opposite direction. Gained a scornful tone, I decided to let him know I was there.

"Snape." He jumped and eagerly spun around, only for it to melt off his face as he stopped short, not seeing the red headed girl.

"Ly."

I shook my head, angrily. "Don't call me that. You have no authority nor are you in a place to call me that anymore. Only my friends call me that."

"I thought we were friends."

I laughed, bitterly. "Yes. Yes, you're right. We were friends, Severus."

He didn't speak as I patiently waited for his apology, but it didn't come. I raised my eyebrows at him, hoping that he'd take the hint but he didn't.

"Do you not even care? Are you going to even say sorry?" I felt my features tighten and I bit my lip.

"For what?" He spoke harshly.

A dry sob broke out of my throat but I covered it with a cough. "You called me a foul half breed."

"Oh."

I could feel my eyes beginning to burn. "Nothing?"

He didn't speak so I took that as my cue. I turned on my heel and stalked away, climbing back through the portrait hole. I heard him call after me. I turned, seeing him peering through the portrait hole.

"Yes, Severus?" I sighed.

"Could you ask Lily-" I felt my fury take a turn for the worst and I strode toward him, furiously. He seemed to shrink back only a tiny bit.

"No. I won't. Lily's made up her mind and you just made up mine for me. If this is what Slytherins are all like, then I'm glad I got to be one of the few whom realized before you could influence me." My face heated with rage and misery. "You don't even care. You don't care at all about what you called me. Or Lily. You just fancy her, don't you?"

His face held a new fury but I wasn't backing down this time. My rage blazed like fire in my veins and the fact that Snape couldn't even deny it only added fuel to the flame. "Are you going to deny anything? You're a bloody coward! I've cut all ties from every Slytherin and if you think you're any different, you're lying to yourself." I roughly shoved him toward the portrait hole and he didn't even argue, just quickly left. As soon as he was out of view, I called after him.

"And don't let the door hit you on your way out!"

{06/02/15}