Chapter 17 - The ball p1

Lyra

After what seemed like hours, I finally chose the Slytherin dress, deciding that I had grown up a Slytherin and therefore felt more appropriate.

The dress was strapless and reached just above my knees. It had a lot of green lace on it and I paired it up with black heels, with silver 'spikes' on the toes. I fastened my Slytherin ring onto my left ring finger and quickly attached the chain of my necklace together. I was quite short, only being 5'4 at age fifteen, so it felt nice to have a few inches added onto it. I skipped out of the bathroom, feeling like I could fly in what I rarely ever wore. Lily and Mary were nearly ready, and I spotted another Gryffindor girl, Marlene McKinnon, fixing their hair for them. I attempted to sneak out without them seeing me, but if the clicking of my heels wasn't enough, my foot betraying me and getting stuck in the rug was.

Marlene spun around, as if expecting an attack. "Just in time, Ly!" The three of them, still with quite a bit of a struggle, pushed me down into the chair. I zoned out what happened, but something along the lines of, the three of them taking the hair elastic out of my hair and straightening it slightly. They left one side of my hair down with the other side braided a little bit. Anyway, back to the present after this hell.

The four of us walked down into the Gryffindor common room and waited for their dates. I had decided to go alone after I rejected a few different invites. Lily had been asked by Sev, Marlene had been asked by Sirius after I rejected him and Mary had been asked by a Hufflepuff boy. Not wanting to run into the marauders, I left with Mary and her date. The ball was in full swing when we got there and we had to shout to hear each other.

"Mary!" I shouted her name until she finally found me with her eyes. "I'll go get a drink!" She nodded and I quickly slipped through the crowds of dancing students, tripping over my own feet. I quickly poured punch into a cup, but stopped after seeing James smirking at it. I sniffed the punch before deciding against it and leaving it there. I saw a girl I recognized coming towards me and I tried to quickly duck, to no prevail. Marlene reached me and I noticed, luckily, that Sirius was not with her.

"Ly! Come over here!" With a sickening jolt I looked over her shoulder and saw the marauders, though they hadn't spotted me yet. I began to argue.

"Marls, no, I'm-" she yanked me harder, taking my breath away. "Marly!" I decided finally that she couldn't hear me, as she dragged me towards the boys I hated so much.

Finally they looked up. Sirius snickered. "McKinnon, why'd you drag that thing in?"

Anger crossed Marlene's features suddenly. "What'd you just call her?"

A matching wave of fury appeared on his face as well. "You heard me."

Just then, with the worst possible timing, Dumbledore's voice sounded. "Everyone please sit down at the closest table." When I stood there gaping, he spoke up again. "Miss Davi, I believe there is a free seat next to Mr. Black behind you." Dragging my feet, I quickly sat down, scooting the chair as far away from him as possible. Marlene sent me an apologetic look across the table.

{5/12/15}