Chapter 20 - Blood History and a Patronus

Lyra

It had been a couple of days since the ball. Remus and I had started dating afterwards. I sat, slouched, in the Library. The librarian had kindly given me permission to practice a new spell that I needed to complete.

"Expecto Patronum!" Nothing happened. "Expecto Patronum!" Nothing once more. I scowled in dismay before a voice shattered my thoughts.

"Don't give up, Miss Davi." I whipped around in my seat, my eyes landing on Professor McGonagall. I smiled slightly before she continued. "That was something your mother had as well. Impatience. It shadowed her real potential, as it's shadowing yours now."

I stared up at her curiously. "Did you know my mother, Professor?"

McGonagall sighed, pushing her glasses further up her nose. "Yes. Leonie was one of my favourite students."

My curiosity grew. "Leonie?"

The professor looked surprised before her face became blank again. "That's right. It didn't occur to me that you might not know anything about her." She wrung her hands and continued. "Leonie. Impatient, brave and loyal girl, she was. I see her so much in you." I smiled sadly.

"Did you know anything of my father, professor?" She began to fidget with her glasses again.

"No. Muggle man. I'm ashamed to say I never knew him."

I nodded slowly.

"Your mother was a Gryffindor." McGonagall spoke the answer to my questions in that one sentence, as if reading my mind. "Her friend Bella was a Slytherin. Whom left eventually, claiming it was because of her parent's pure blood mania. Never saw her again. I didn't, at least. She was your godmother." She sighed again. "Died around the same time your mother did."

I decided it was worth a try to attempt the patronus again. "Expecto Patronum!" I saw blue mist this time and quickly pulled my arm back, thinking about what my mistake could've been.

"Miss Davi!" I flinched, waiting for my scolding but it never came. "You were about to succeed! Why would you pull away?"

I raised my hand up again. "Expecto Patronum!" This time, a shape began to move out of the mist.

A fox proudly stepped out. McGonagall seemed to beam at me. "Your mother's Patronus was a prairie dog." She smiled sadly. "She would be so proud of you, you know?" I nodded slightly.

What I didn't know was that Sirius was meanwhile playing a certain deadly 'prank' on Severus.

"So, my mother's friend Bella was kind of like Isabel, then?"

McGonagall's forehead creased. "Isabel?"

"Fortescue."

Fear laced her features. "No one named Isabel Fortescue has gone to this school for the last twenty three years."

My blood seemed to run cold in my veins. "Surely there must be a mistake. She left before third year."

McGonagall shook her head. "No. The only Fortescue that was supposed to come to the school that would be fifth year went missing beforehand."

McGonagall seemed to be withholding some sort of information. "Professor?" She appeared to refuse to meet my eyes. "Who was my godmother?"

"Isabella Gaunt. Blonde, blue eyes and left Hogwarts during second year." She shifted in her seat before standing. "Whom was known to others as Isabel Fortescue."

A/N:

Short chapter, sorry. It was more of a filler to get some information about her background. I don't know how I feel about this chapter.

{5/17/15}