Chapter 12 - Flashbacks p1

Lyra

(The flashback chapters are two parts).

I heard applause coming from Ravenclaw, followed by Hufflepuff and eventually Gryffindor. I spotted more than half of the Slytherins glaring at me. I returned each and every one of the glares with a challenging look in my eyes. Severus and Regulus looked at me sadly while Andromeda Black looked happy for me, but still sad all the same. Mulciber was looking confused at how to feel or react. We had bonded through Sev during my time in Slytherin. I quickly adverted my gaze to the Gryffindor table, as I stood up. I made my way towards the Ravenclaw table as Sirius' eyes met mine. And that's when flashbacks hit me.

After the sorting

I ran upstairs and into my dorm room, barely making it there before I collapsed and sobs wracked my body. The look of disgust on Sirius' face, the glare and muttered insult from James, Peter's grimace when he looked at me and being ignored by Remus. It all replayed in my mind. I heard a girl, presumably one I shared the dorm with, enter behind me. I quickly brought a hand up to wipe away my tears before turning to see who it was. A girl with brown hair and brown eyes stood there. I started as I realized she was not someone I shared with. She looked to be in fourth or fifth year and I immediately recognized her as one of the prefects. Andromeda Black. I realized she must've followed me after I left without dinner, as she was holding a plate in her hand. She smiled at me and gently set the plate down beside me.

"I'm Andromeda."

"And I'm Lyra." I grinned slightly.

First day of classes

I walked along the corridor, gazing in awe at everything I passed. I heard a familiar laugh behind me and I spun around, startled. Four boys stood there. The one that caught my eye had long curling black hair and startling grey eyes. Sirius. Fear and dread washed over me, but I attempted to keep my breathing steady. I spoke, only quieter than I'd have liked.

"Hi, Sirius.." Their attention turned to me and my heart sank, as their gazes all darkened towards me. "I- I was thinking-"

A harsh voice interrupted me. "Shocker." James glared at me with uttermost dislike. "You sure? You seem like the dumb type."

My breath caught and I felt tears sting my eyes, but I blinked them back. "I- I was t- thinking that we could s-s-still be friends." My stuttering got worse as I went on.

Sirius spoke this time. "Friends? With you?" He advanced towards me and I shrunk backward in fear. "What do we want with a bloody Slytherin?"

"I-it was just a thought b-because I thought-"

"Well, you thought wrong."

"But, I-" I breathed deeply. "B-b-but I thought we were friends."

"How much plainer do we have to make this for you?"

"We're not friends!"

I turned to quickly run away, but James was quicker. He tripped me, as the others, except for Remus, laughed. Remus was busy reading, but his eyes didn't move and I knew that he didn't care about me at all. I fell towards Sirius and he caught me, but only held me for half a second before throwing me to the ground. I heard footsteps and the boys quickly left me there. The tears were now freely streaming down my cheeks, as I clumsily tried to pick up my books. I reached for my Charms textbook, just as another person did. A girl, obviously as she had her nails painted a dark red. I quickly looked up to find that the girl was the redhead with emerald eyes, sorted into Gryffindor. I started, as I waited for the insults that were sure to come, but none did. She quickly picked up every book, before reaching her hand out to help me up.

I flinched, waiting for her to hit me, but she didn't. I looked up at her to find a sympathetic expression on her face. As she gently helped me to my feet. "I'm Lily Evans."

{4/30/15}