Chapter 22 - I hate the hospital wing

Lyra

I groaned with the effort to sit up. Knives seemingly pierced my ribs and I cried out. Fed up with all the pain, I screamed my throat raw. Marlene sprung awake from the chair beside my bed and I realized that out of my three friends, she was the one with the free block at that time. They'd probably been taking turns with looking after me.

I screamed at myself, at Sirius and at all my regrets. I had longed to be in Gryffindor, but why did I deserve to wear the beautiful gold and red if I couldn't even admit my own mistakes. If I couldn't be brave enough to face my enemies. Did that mean I wasn't brave? I liked to think I was.

The patron had burst into the room at the sound of my screams, but Marlene had obviously reassured her that she'd take care of me. As I continued my cries of anguish, I felt Marlene's hand press into my back, rubbing it and hoping that it would soothe my pain. But, the pain was within my own head. Within my own heart.

As my voice began to fade away, it turned into choking sobs. Tears streamed down my cheeks, never ending. I screeched out a few more words, before my voice was gone.

"I hate him! I hate all of them. I hate them more than I've ever hated anybody!"

Marlene's arms wrapped around me, in a comforting way. Then nothing.

Mary

I sat in Transfiguration class, clenching my fists and squaring my jaw, hearing the screams and sobs of my best friend. Lily's eyes and face were filled with sadness and worry, I swore I saw tears as well. I felt fury wash over me as I glanced at the marauders. They all stared ahead, grim faced. Though, I supposed that was only because it was Remus' girlfriend. Finally, it all became too much and my hand flew up.

McGonagall's lips formed a straight line as she spotted me. "Yes, Miss Macdonald?"

"I'm terribly sorry to interrupt, professor, but I hoped that you could excuse Lily and I." Lily's eyes widened and McGonagall's blank face continued to stare at me, though her mouth twitched slightly.

"Why might that be, Miss Macdonald?"

I stared up at her sadly. It was Lily that answered, to my surprise.

"Because, professor, I'm sorry if you failed to notice, but our best friend is screaming like a banshee." She sent challenging eyes up at McGonagall.

"Very well, Miss Evans. You are both free to go."

We quickly collected our parchment and books, taking our leave and sprinting up the corridors.

{05/20/15}