Chapter 11 - Don't trust a hat

Lyra

I skipped down the corridor, towards the great hall. I warily glanced around for the marauders, hoping to avoid them as usual. Ignoring the small detail that they brought me to the hospital wing, since they only wanted to not be expelled.

It was now that I realized the odds weren't exactly in my favour today. As soon as I turned the last corner, I was rammed to the ground, clumsily landing in a heap. A bark like laugh filled my ears and my heart sank drastically. I flew to my feet and gripped my wand, but only seconds before Potter had snatched it away.

"Look at that." Black's voice caught my attention. "Still a pathetic klutz, I see." I glared at him in rage. If looks could kill, he would've died and been resurrected only to die again from all the glares he had gotten over the years from both Lily and I. Footsteps came from my left and I turned my head to see said girl. Her emerald eyes were filled with fury as well.

Potter's voice immediately got a more mature sound to it. "Evans! Go out with me." Before Lily could retort back, a loud shriek came from a gruff individual you couldn't tell right away, if it was a male or female.

My hands flew to my ears, freeing my pencil from behind my ear and I barely heard it clatter across the corridor. "Bloody hell!"

My eyes glanced around at the four in front of me, as Lupin was surprisingly not present. Lily was grimacing in remorse, while James and Peter were both cringing. Unwillingly, my eyes glued to Sirius. A look of annoyance was fresh on his face and he was glaring the ground. As if he sensed my glance, he looked up abruptly and met my eyes. He narrowed his eyes and disgust that matched his expression during the sorting back in first year, crossed his face. I breathed a sigh and waited impatiently for the shriek to stop, forgetting the fragility of my emotions for the time being.

The silence was only temporary though. Another shriek began, only with audible words this time. I made a mistaaaaake! The sound continued to get louder until finally, Mcgonagall materialized from the corridor leading to the head master's office holding the sorting hat.

I choked back laughter and quickly interrogated her as she passed. "Professor.. where is Dumbledore?"

"Not now, Miss Davi." Her stern voice called back as she strode on. She suddenly turned around and walked back. "Wait.. Miss Davi." An odd look appeared on her face and she grabbed my wrist, yanking me towards the great hall. I heard the thundering feet of Lily, followed by Black, Potter and Pettigrew behind me.

As she forcefully yanked me into the great hall, I spotted Dumbledore's gaze fall on us, as did many others. He brought his wand up to his head and knew he must've been magnifying his voice. "Silence." Immediately, no one else spoke, besides the hat's occasional muttering. "The sorting hat believes it has made a mistake." Whispering followed this statement, until Dumbledore rose his hand. He motioned me forwards and I staggered, hesitantly at first, before I noticed the glares from the Slytherins and began to stumble forward faster.

Before I could even say 'Quidditch', the hat was placed on my head and its vibrating voice filled my head. Yes, I cannot see how I made this mistake.. It trailed off and I felt numb. Better be..

Ravenclaw!

{4/29/15}