~ 40 ~

~ Chapter Forty ~

Nighttime finally fell. Although it felt like time hadn't really changed. I was trapped within my own thoughts for a while after Tiana's Mate arrived.

I stared at the three unconscious bodies. Ruby's body twitched here and there from her pain. Whereas the two men, Landon and Mikael, were still.

Watching them was a slap to the face. I always felt that this world, filled with unimaginable beings, was all a fantasy. That I somehow ended up dreaming this place and I couldn't find a way to wake up. But seeing three dragon shifters severely injured and hurting, was a reality check I needed. I'm tired of being in denial and searching for an answer that may not appear anymore. I need to grow up and acclimate to my new reality. It's going to be painful to admit never seeing my family and never living my old life ever again. But I actually have people, or should I say dragons, to help me out. I just won't be too stubborn like I was in the beginning.

"What are you thinking so hard about?"

I looked away from the three bodies and stared up at Kaene. "Just about how grateful I am that you didn't leave me to die."

Kaene shook his head with a smirk. "Well if you're not around, who's going to keep me on my toes."

I chuckled a bit sadly. "Well you wouldn't be in this mess if it weren't for me."

He patted my shoulder, although a bit too hard. I flinched away in pain. He noticed and pulled his hand away. "Sorry, I don't know my strength sometimes. And don't feel guilty. I think we didn't help either by making you feel like an outsider. If we had embraced you more, you wouldn't have felt the need to desperately find your way home. I'll try to help you find a place where you belong within our tribe."

I smiled gratefully at him. "Thank you."

He shrugged. "That's my job as your mate. I should do this and more to make you feel cherished right?"

I smile fell. "Mate? So are you and Zander my mates now?"

He shook his head. "Well we technically both defeated our opponents and can end up being your mates if you wish. However, if you don't, we'll have to fight again. Of course when all this war with the sirens is over."

I did say that I could have two mates. And I only mentioned that in order to at least save one extra dragon from their death.

Having two men to myself is an interesting thought. I mean they're both attractive in their own way. One is mysterious and sweet. Whereas the other is rude and occasionally nice. Like a sour patch. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd want to handle two men to myself.

I scratched the back of my head and awkwardly agreed. "I'll think about it for now. Once all this is over, I hope I can make a decision."

Kaene nodded. It seemed like he wanted to say more. However, Ruby began grumbling and shifting around in her sleep.

Kaene got up to check on her. I watched as he pressed his hand on her forehead, checking whether or not she contained a fever. He also wrapped more of the large leaves around her.

"S-stop. You're suffocating me." She mumbled angrily.

I quickly got up and knelt on her left side. "Ruby, how are you feeling?"

She snapped her eyes open and angrily look up at me. "I feel great that I had to fight against my own mate. In fact it felt amazing how we both sustained sever injur- Ow!"

Kaene had pressed down on her wounded arm. She and I both stared at him. He shrugged. "Just making sure it's not broken and healing properly."

Ruby growled lowly in the back of her neck. "How's Landon?"