~ 14 ~

~ Chapter Fourteen ~

I currently chopped vegetables and fruits for the other women who managed the meals. I was woken up earlier than usual by Libelle in order to do this. She claimed that I needed to learn more than just wash clothes.

It has been three days since Ruby and I went looking for Tiana in the forest. Since then, I've spotted her with at least one of her husbands. She's never alone anymore. Even one of them accompanied her when she dropped off my newly made sandals.

The shoe was simple and it fit perfectly. She guessed my size with that amazing dragon vision of hers. Or it must've been all talent since she's suppose to be the best of the best. When they came, her husband had quickly taken her away. Neither of them had a chance to fit a word in. I didn't mind it, but it did solidify my guess. It had all to do with what's in the forest.

In the last two nights, I've been having trouble of sleeping. Not because of my curiosity towards what happened in the forest, but because I have about another week before Libelle forces me to choose men to fight over me.

The whole tradition is barbaric and stupid. How am I suppose to know if the guy and I are compatible or not? I didn't even want to get married until I was forty!

The more I think about it, the faster my hands are cutting up whatever is on the wooden block. I was angry at my current predicament. Yet I knew I couldn't leave. Where else would I go? I'm stuck here because being here secures my survival. But that also frustrated me because I don't have options!

My hands moved quickly to their own accord as my anger grew. I didn't realize it until I felt a pair of bigger hands grasping my own, stopping me from cutting up the food. I look up to my right and see Landon. He has his brown curls tied up behind his head. He was shirtless, showing off his well built chest. He only wore a pair of pants and boots. As he stared at me with a worried look on his face, I can distinctly see a bit of sweat around his forehead.

He removes the knife from my hand and inspects my fingers. "I came just in time. You would have lost a finger with the way you were chopping those fruits."

I looked down at his hands holding mine, and awkwardly pulled away. He was too friendly to a stranger like me. It's somewhat uncomfortable. I didn't hug my friends until I knew them for a solid year.

I timidly smiled at Landon. "Thank you. My mind was somewhere else."

He smiled down at me and guided me to a bench. There, Kaeden and Zander were seated talking amongst themselves. Kaene saw me and only nodded in greeting. Zander also gave me a curt nod, but his gaze quickly fell to my hands.

Did he also see me angrily cutting at the fruits? Great. I just keep on humiliating myself.

Although, Zander didn't say anything and picked at the food in front of him. Both he and Kaene, also lacked a shirt and only wore pants. It seemed that they just came back from working out or doing some kind of hard labor.

Landon sat beside me and smiled. "So. Tell me why you were distracted."

Well he's very forward. I'm surprised that with this personality of his, he manages to stay single. He can ask any woman out with that smile and they'll faint from happiness. Unless he has a hidden third nipple somewhere that everyone, but me, knows about.

I shifted uncomfortably. "Well... I only have about a week left before I need to pick my potential mates. But I don't have the slightest clue about anyone here."

The three men stared at me as if they couldn't believe that I'm being troubled by this tradition of theirs.

Kaene spoke before Landon had the chance. "Are you not happy with our tradition being thrown at you?"

I shook my head. "That's not normal where I'm from. People date for a long time and then make the decision, together, if they would want to marry."

Kaene scrunched his face in confusion. "My mother is where you're from. Yet she had no problems with committing to our tradition."

"I can't answer for Libelle. But I can say that her generation held similar traditions to yours. Many women would be married off to men they wouldn't know. Unlike in my time, people will spend time getting to know one another before committing to a long life together. And we'd have the option to stop the relationship and choose someone else."

"Stop mentioning things from wherever you came from. Everyone knows about what you said in the springs a few days ago. It made some of the women uncomfortable.

You're here now and nothing will ever help you go back to your home. Forget that place and start anew here. If you don't like it, then leave."

I sat wide-eyed staring at the very man who hasn't been all that friendly to me. All that had come from Kaene, the man with angelic looks and a dark personality. His bright blue eyes darkened in annoyance as he stared at me. While the other two stared at him in shock.

I felt like I just shrunk even more with that look of his. My chest felt tight and my eyes were stinging. I felt like crying. But I couldn't cry in front of them. Not only will it embarrass me further, it also means, to them, that I'm still too young to understand that his words were the hard truth.

I kept trying to withold my tears, but the dam broke. Water spilled out of the corners of my eyes. I quickly wiped them away, but I couldn't stop more from spilling.

Landon awkwardly patted my back, mumbling lame comfort words such as, "Don't cry. It's okay."

Zander looked like he wanted to punch Kaene. While the man, himself, looked even more annoyed and bothered that I'm crying because of what he said.

If my feelings weren't so hurt, I'd tease them because it seemed like this is the first time they've ever seen a woman cry. And they didn't know how to handle it.

After crying my lungs out, for what seemed like forever but really was only fifteen minutes, I calmed down. I wiped my face from tear stains and snot with my dress. I didn't care that I was being a pig in front of these handsome men. I only cared about myself at the moment.

Landon smiled. "There. Do you feel better now?"

I nodded. I guess I needed a slap in the face and cry about it in order to realize that I'm being pitiful. Kaene, although harsh, spoke honestly. I guess I truly wasn't accepting my fate if I kept denying their customs. If I'm to start anew, then I need to start sincerely accepting my role as one of the women for these dragons.

I also have to sincerely let go of my past. Stop comparing things and looking down at these primitive dragons.

I wiped my face one last time and got up from my seat. I Ignored the men and started walking away.

The guys didn't stop me. Which was fine. I didn't have anything else to say. I'll return to my post and see what else the other women need help with.

Starting from here on out, I will try harder to learn more about the culture of these people. As well as accepting it as my own.

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 7/15/19

Kaida liked to compare the two worlds and I felt that she was holding onto that slight glimmer of hope. So I decided to crush it today and empowered her to realize what a baby she's being.

Comment. Vote. & Spread the Word!