~ 6 ~

~ Chapter Six ~

Libelle had given me a piece of a large plant stem, cut open to show the white gooy stuff inside it. She had told me it's a natural cleanser, that sometimes even the dragons use it in their human forms, lathering it all over their bodies. She told me it's good for oral hygiene and to use it.

Which I did because no way will I be walking around with nasty breathe. So I rubbed the white gunk onto my teeth and swirled it around my mouth before spitting it back out. I had drank my water with my fruit so I couldn't use it to rinse out the rest of the plant gunk. The aftertaste was utterly disgusting.

The things I do for proper hygiene.

I even hoped to ask for new clothes, but it seemed that Libelle was in a hurry to start the day.

When Libelle finally pulled me out of my 'bedroom', I expected to see a normal looking hallway. Instead it contained the same structure of rocks and stones. It reminded me of caves. Except this place contained those glowing rocks poking outwards like a lamp on a wall.

Just like the room I slept in, the halls in this place were humongous. Clearly dragons made this place to fit their dragon forms.

Libelle and I walked for a while, spotting no one in sight. Not even when we stepped into a large opening where a small river flowed through the cracks of the walls. Even a small waterfall was on the right, cascading into a pool-like area.

"That's where we bathe." Libelle explained when she noticed where I was eyeing. "But we must clean the clothing first. You can bathe afterwards, when you've done all your chores." She looked me over and clicked her tongue. "And I'll even have to find clothes for your small form."

I nodded and followed her to the small, shallow river. I really wanted a bath. The water by the poolside looked warm and inviting because of the steam around it. It was like a natural hot tub calling out for me.

Instead I'm here scrubbing clothes with homemade bar soap that doesn't even smell good. Or am I doing this wrong?

I looked over at Libelle and saw how natural she was in her element. She scrubbed, rinsed, and laid the clothes on the rocks nearby. She then took the dry ones and folded them before putting them inside a basket. Clearly, she had done this multiple times.

I looked down and continued with this hard labor. Someone really needed to invent the washing machines here. I don't like how old school this is.

As I continued to wash clothes beside Libelle, I suddenly heard distant chatter and laughter getting close. I stopped what I was doing and turned around just as a small group of women waltz in. There was probably only twenty of them, and all young looking.

One of them, a woman with red hair, spotted Libelle and rushed over to where we were. "Libelle! What are you doing here? You shouldn't be working."

Upon hearing Libelle's name, everyone came over fussing over the plump old woman. It seemed that everyone cared for her. A girl even tried taking the clothes away from her, but she didn't allow it and reprimanded her.

No one had noticed me until Libelle pointed it out. "I'm showing Kaida the mandatory chores for all the young ladies here." On cue, every single pair of eyes turned to look at me. One even dared asked what kind of creature I am because I didn't smell like a dragon. "She's human. Just like I once was. Now off to work."

Everyone seemed to accept that answer with no further questions. Instead they all gathered around the river and began their work. They all looked natural in this setting. I even saw how harsh some of their hands looked.

I looked down, seeing my own hands, and realized how small and delicate they were. Will they change after a while of me being here? I honestly do hope I've left this place before I ruin my hands because I doubt there's any nail salons here.

Great. Now I'm sounding like Marissa.

"How old are you?" Came a voice that startled me. I flinched and moved away from the woman on my right. She was the redhead from before. Upon looking at her closely, I notice that her creamy white skin is covered in brown freckles. Her eyes were a dark green, making her look exotic.

She giggled at my fright and waited for my reply.

"I'm eighteen." She let out a low hum and looked at me up and down.

"Libelle," she called out. "Since you're having her work like the rest of us... Will she also be allowed to become an available mate for the single men?"

Libelle actually looked uncomfortable. She didn't know how to respond to the girl in front of me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, grabbing her attention once more.

She smiled brightly and explained it to me. "All the single women are considered as available mates to the men here. Usually the woman picks a few men who interest her and they either accept to fight for her or they respectfully decline. The victor claims the woman as his bride."

"Or the woman can accept the last two standing as her husbands. Heck I know I wouldn't mind two dicks of my own," yelled a woman in the background before cackling causing the rest of the women to giggle along.

Two men? I don't think that's my preference but if they allow it here then it must not be seen as bad. The vulgarity of her words, were unnecessary though. However, in my world, I think polygamous relationships are rare unless it's common in their traditions and religion... I think.

"Why?" I asked. All this is confusing. Why couldn't a man just date the woman and propose marriage when they're ready?

The redhead tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear, a nervous action. But before she can respond, Libelle beat her to it. "Because women are considered sacred here. There aren't many women, so men see us as goddesses. They must fight and show their strengths to us in order to signify that they're capable of protecting and taking care of us. Because only the strongest are fit and worthy to mate with."

"And strong men are simply more attractive than the weak ones," added the redhead.

Men fight over women because they want to obtain a goddess of their own? Is that what Libelle is trying to say? The customs of these dragons really are strange and primitive. Or am I too dumb to understand what she's saying?

I looked at Libelle. "Do I really have to participate in this mate thing?"

Libelle forced her face to not look anguished over her answer. But I still saw how difficult it was for her to crush my hopes. "Yes dear. Unfortunately, you must follow our way of life if you're going to stay here."

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 5/5/19

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Share. Comment. & Vote!