~ 20 ~

~ Chapter Twenty ~

Both, Zander and Kaene, nodded in satisfaction towards my answer. However, it is now my turn to get some answers. So before either of the boys stepped away, I blurted out the very question that's been running through my mind.

"Why is this forest dangerous?"

Zander and Kaene gave nothing away. No nervous gesture was made. Instead, Kaene approached and tilted his head sideways.

"Why do you think this place is dangerous?"

"Tiana's mates didn't want her in the forest alone. He said something.. About creatures roaming about." I stuttered the last part.

It was right then and there I realized that I regretted my decision as Kaene walked closer. He towered over me, trying to intimidate me.

Kaene isn't trustworthy. He knows the secrets of this place and he won't tell me. And the only reason I know that is because of the way he's acting right now.

"It's not wise to be curious in this world that's unknown to you. But if you must know then I'll tell you. Tiana is pregnant and she's vulnerable to the wild creatures that roam these lands. Such as the ogres who can easily attack a heavily pregnant woman."

His reasoning sounded logical. But the way he said it was as if he was feeding a misguided truth to a child. It angered me. If only I could slap him and kick him in the balls. Unfortunately, I just need to play along right now.

So I nodded. "Those ogres sure are nasty beings."

Kaene backed away and started to walk away. "Let's go bef-"

A loud crunch sounded nearby. The sound caused everyone to standstill. Kaene looked around, scrutinizing every opening the trees allowed him to see.

"Zander, watch over her. I'll be back." Kaene whispered as he vanished within the darkness of these trees.

I took this opportunity and came up close to Zander. I grabbed him by the arm tightly and whispered, "He lied to me. I hope you don't do the same. Now tell me the truth about this place."

Zander looked down at me, slightly cold, and grabbed my hand with his free one. "Why should I?"

"Because if I'm to become your mate then we need to trust one another. Without it there's no partnership or any other kind of relationship."

He let's go of my hand. I, however, still keep my tight hold on him. It's the only thing keeping me from lashing out in anger.

"You've changed your decision. You don't want him having a chance at winning. Do you?"

"Nor you if you don't tell me the truth." I let go of his arm and angrily crossed mine.

He's giving me the run around and I don't know how long it will be until Kaene returns. I want my answers and I want them now. It's scary not knowing this place, much less its dangers. I need to know everything if I want to survive.

Zander came close and untangled my arms. He held my hands as he stared down at me. Our eyes locked with one another. His showing his complete sincerity and mine showing my vulnerability, my fears.

"I think I know why you've captured my attention. You're so tiny and lack strength physically. Yet you've held yourself together. You're strong willed and smart. I wouldn't be disappointed if you become mine."

I frowned. That's not what we've been talking about. Why is he saying all this right now?

"Let go!" Came a familiar voice.

I turned around and a few seconds later, Kaene emerged with Ruby in his grasp. He let her go and she stumbled over her own steps until she reached me.

At some point, Zander had let go of me and created some distance between us. I Ignored it and gave my full attention to Ruby.

"What are you doing here?"

She smiled bashfully at me. "I was hoping to catch view of something juicy with you three. But to say I'm disappointed is an understatement."

I rolled my eyes at her. "I'm not into polygamy. Anyway, let's go. I'm sure I've missed part of my chores. Libelle is going to reprimand me if she hears about this."

Ruby nodded and began to lead the way back. Kaene and Zander followed along. However, I caught a hold of Zander's gaze. It spoke volumes. Within those brown orbs, he had made a decision.

~***~

The long hours of labor had finally come to an end. The physical work hadn't been hard, I simply washed clothes and helped prepare meals. The difficult part of my day had been the judgment hiding behind every stare I received.

The dragons wanted to know what's so special about me. What's so special that more than two men had offered themselves up for me. I didn't know the answer. If only I could yell that out and add in the fact that I find all their stares disturbing.

I let out a sigh and relaxed on my bed. Sleep is going to be hard to obtain tonight. So much has happened in my life that I haven't had a proper time to realize that I am basically marrying off to a dragon. I've accepted a fate that can't be changed.

I'm so stupid.

Why did I stop my pursuit of finding a way of going back home? Then I wouldn't be used as a dragon baby making machine.

A knock came at my door, snapping me out of my negative thoughts. A choice had been made. I just have to live with it now.

I slowly got up and walked towards the door. I wonder who it is. I cracked it opened and saw Zander standing there. He wore different clothes. He had a simple slip on shirt with a pair of blue pants tucked inside boots. His ensemble looked rushed. Did he know that what he wore didn't really match?

Anyway, that's not important. The importance is the reason why he's here. I opened my door wider and allowed him in. Judging by his serious expression, this conversation that we're about to have has something to do with what we talked about in the woods earlier.

I silently closed the door and stood by it while he took up space at the center of my room.

"Don't stay quiet. Say what you've come here to say. The quicker you say it, the faster you can leave."

I know I sounded harsh. But he needed to know that I'm not playing games. But I also need to be careful. After all, I'm dealing with a dragon.

Zander looked around my empty room. He walked towards my bed and picked up a book. The dragon's history book.

"Have you read this?"

I shook my head.

"Well.. Why don't I read it to you? It'll actually help explain why most dragons fear the forest."

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 9/23/19

Kaida is a wishy washy person. She seems to always regret her choices after making her final, unchangeable, decisions. Let's hope this doesn't cause her problems.

Vote. Comment. & Keep on Reading!