~ 41 ~

~ Chapter Forty One ~

When I first heard about the land of the fairies, I pictured something whimsical. I imagined a forest filled with floating huts as homes, decorated in beautiful yellow lights. The fairies adorned with cute flower crowns, wearing bright colorful clothes, and adorable button noses. I even hoped to see some with pointed ears, adorned with piercings.

Instead, after flying for an entire day, we see dried up land in front of us. The sun was barely setting behind the horizon. The land was high in the sky, like a cliff looking over the ocean. The waves crashed angrily against the rocks at the bottom.

As we got closer, I noticed cracks running along the land. Tents were set up on the solid parts of the ground. Dragons of all sizes and colors crawled around the campsite, building shelter for themselves.

So this barren land has become their refuge.

Kaene landed with a soft thud behind the others. He carefully sat me down, as well as Mikael. Zander was in front of me and he gently put the couple down. Ruby was conscious, but she couldn't really move. Landon, who was asleep this entire time, only stirred a bit in discomfort.

At this point, everyone had taken notice of our arrival.

Zander reverted back to his human form. He then jogged over to John's dragon. He climbed up and helped Tiana get down, along with her babies.

How she managed to stay on this entire time without flying off was a mystery to me. Yet again she showed how amazing the strength of a dragon can be, even in human form.

Some women, wearing simple brown dresses, rushed to Tiana. They gushed at the babies in her arm. Even some children came over and enthusiastically ran around Tiana. They yelled excitedly about having more kids to play with.

I smiled at them. They all seemed happy for her.

John, back in his human form, came up to her and kissed her forehead. He whispered something before coming over to us. He acknowledged me with a small nod of the head and carefully took Mikael.

Looking around, I noticed many dragons around. I'm happy their numbers didn't dwindle as much. I could tell some have lost their loved ones but they're happy to find old ones safe and sound. Like Ruby and Landon.

Even though Ruby can't move, she's animatedly talking to everyone welcoming her. She's currently being carried away through the crowd. Someone else is also carrying Landon behind her. He still hasn't recovered consciousness, but hopefully he will soon.

I twiddled my fingers in anxiety. Does everyone know that I helped the sirens and pixies? That I've basically lead them to a war?

Kaene shrunk back to his human form next to me.

"You're still here?" I heard those words from the crowd. It made my heart stop in fear. So they do know I was responsible for their misfortune.

I instinctually held onto Kaene's bare arm, my chipped nails digging inside, yet he remained silent.

From the crowd, who now focused their attention to Kaene and I, came Libelle. She had an unwelcoming expression on her face. In fact, it looked like she was trying to conceal her anger.

"Is there a problem mother?" Kaene asked. He looked confused.

"Yes, is there a problem Libelle?" Xenon questioned suspiciously as he walked up behind her. "We should be happy they all returned safely. Although someone didn't listen to me, when I said flying back was dangerous."

Xenon arched an eyebrow and looked towards Kaene. I'm assuming he also meant John, but he was long gone with Tiana and the babies.

Libelle awkwardly smiled at her husband. "There's no problem. Just.. shocked that Kaida didn't take this opportunity to run away."

The words that tumbled out of her mouth was a bit suspicious. However, it confirmed the fact that no one here knew that I caused everyone to flee from their home.

I think Kaene also found her response a little alarming because he said, "If she ran, she would have been found dead."

"We also lived on an island, there's no other place she would have been able to go to." Zander added as he walked closer to us. "There's extra tents set up, let's get Kaida in one so she can get herself cleaned. With all due respect, she's not in any shape to answer questions right now."

Once again I was shocked with how much Zander spoke. I'm happy he came over and took charge over Libelle. For sure she's hiding something. Did she somehow know that I made a deal with the sirens?

Zander carefully laid a hand on my back and guided me away from Kaene and his parents. I watched Libelle staring at me intently. She also wore a brown dress just like the other women from earlier. It didn't flatter her large frame well.

Libelle had always been a bit extra since the beginning. She always made me uncomfortable, especially with how much she eagerly rushed me to join their way of living. She claimed women were important here, yet everyone seems to love their lives in equal footing.

She probably made that comment to persuade me. To make this seem like a paradise. I don't particularly trust Libelle. But for now, I will just keep an eye out.

Zander pulled back the flap of a tent and ushered me inside.

It was small and held the important necessities such as a flat bed, wash bowls, and spare clothing. I don't know what the bed was made of but I'm ready to jump in and sleep.

However, first I need to wash myself and change. I can't believe everyone saw me in bloody attire.

I walked over to the wash bowls and noticed a big can filled with water. I turn to Zander and ask, "are we using someone's tent?"

Zander shook his head. "I asked someone to set up a tent as quickly as possible and to bring us warm water to cleanse ourselves."

I grabbed a small bowl and admired the carvings on it. "Well whomever did it, did it quickly. We just got here and the water it still hot."

I scooped some water and poured it down my arms. I didn't care that the floor was getting wet. It was solid rock underneath us.

Zander came closer. "Do you need help washing?"

As much as the idea of having someone cater to me sounded nice, I couldn't bring myself to say yes. I still barely knew Zander. I just know that he's very attentive and likes me because I'm someone who depends on his strength. I'm unlike the other females he grew up with, who are strong and independent.

"No, thank you. If you could please step out so I can clean myself." I said as nicely as I could, hoping I won't hurt his feelings.

He didn't seem angry or sad. He nonchalantly nodded and walked away calmly.

As soon as he was gone and I was left with my own privacy, I ripped my tattered clothes off and began washing myself. The warm water relaxed my tensed muscles. I really needed this.

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 9/11/22

What do you think the fairies will look like?

Comment. Vote. & Share!