~ 23 ~

~ Chapter Twenty Three ~

I shrugged Zander's hands away from me. "I'm fine. She wasn't planning on killing me."

I looked up at his dark brown eyes, ignoring his exposed skin that was out for display. He let out a frustrated sigh and turned me around. He gave me a nudge, signaling me to start walking. I silently followed his order.

As we walked, Zander kept his hand on my back, guiding me towards our destination. Landon followed behind us, making sure we weren't being followed.

Even though they both stayed quiet, I can sense how tensed the air around them was. They weren't happy about that creature being so close to their home.

As we made it to the clearing, Zander ordered Landon to speak with the other warriors. That a possible siren had been spotted. Landon nodded and rushed off to complete his task.

Zander, still in his naked glory, dragged me across the clearing towards the cave. He ignored everyone's stares and whispers as he walked briskly by.

I, on the other hand, felt embarrassed. This probably didn't look good. I came out of the forest with a naked man. I'm positive that they're thinking of all sorts of dirty thoughts because what else would a man and woman be doing out in a forest? Especially a naked man.

My image amongst these dragons just keep on getting more dramatic and disastrous.

Lost in my own thoughts, I didn't realize that we've entered the cave. We even made it into a room that contained more furniture than mine. There was an actual bed, made of wood, that contained blankets and pillows. Of course not like the ones I'm used to seeing since these are made of the material Tiana uses to weave clothing. I can tell because the pillows seem to be stuffed with leaves instead of feathers. The green leaves poked out from the edges.

There wasn't a window in here, but there was a table and two chairs on the left side of the room. Opposite from the bed. Nothing else decorated the room. Except clothes piled up in a basket next to the door, on my right.

Zander dug out some clothes from the basket and put them on quietly. I watched fascinated as his muscles shortened and expanded with every movement he made. I wonder how he'd look if sweat was running down those muscles. In movies, they'd always make them dripping wet as they removed their clothes. I never saw the appeal until now. I can only imagine how more erotic he'd look with water glistening and enhancing his well sculpted body.

How'd it get so hot in here?

Zander pulled out a chair and sat down. He then pointed at the other and said, "Sit."

He sounded like he could barely control his anger. Whether his anger was directed at me or the siren, I don't know. It must be both.

I sat down and crossed my arms. This conversation is going to be unpleasant. I can tell by the way he's trying to control his breathing. If he was in his dragon form, I bet smoke would be coming out of his nostrils.

"I specifically told you how dangerous a siren can be. You're lucky that thing used a decoy. Or Else you'd be dead."

I rolled my eyes at him. "She wasn't trying to hurt me. She was trying to manipulate me."

Zander shook his head. "She could have wanted you alive today and dead another. Her intentions are none of my concern. Your life is and it was in danger today. You don't seem to understand how close you were to dying."

Before I can reply, the door was opened and slammed closed. Zander and I turn around to see Kaene standing there. His bright blue eyes darkened in anger.

"How did you end up in the forest with a monster alone?"

I got up from my chair and glared up at Kaene. "For your information, I didn't purposely go hunting for a siren after everything Zander told me."

Kaene's head snapped towards Zander. "What did you tell her? My mother and father were very specific to everyone. The human doesn't need to learn of our worries. Not until she becomes one of us."

Zander got up from his chair and stood besides me. "I wanted her to know the truth. She'll become one of us soon enough. The night of the full moons is in fourteen days. Soon after she'll be turned into a dragon. She can't change her mind, she's made a decision to stay."

"Trust isn't necessary. Obedience is what's more important." He turned his blue eyes towards me. "I don't particularly care, but stay away from the forest if you want to stay alive. Now I've got more work to do because of you."

Kaene turned around and walked out. After the door closed, I lifted my hand and stuck my middle finger up. I hope he gets a tree stuck through his wings while he searches for the siren.

Zander chuckled. "Is that suppose to be offensive?"

"Yes." I let out a sigh. "Listen. I didn't mean to go in there. My curiosity got the best of me. The siren said that she has a way for me to go back home. She just needs something that the dragons have."

Zander sat back down on his chair. "How can you be sure it's true? That thing must have been manipulating you."

I shook my head as I sat down across from him. "She was very specific. She said that a dimensional whirlpool opens up on the night the blue moons are up. She would take me there herself if I bring her what she wants."

"Kaida. Stop. Let this go. You already made a choice of staying here. You can't risk your life at the odd chances of that siren telling the truth. Stay away and forget about it."

Zander got up and extended his hand out towards me. "Let's go. We've been away from everyone for too long."

I stared at his hand for a moment. He's right, I've made a choice. But I have about fourteen days to search for that ring. I'll find it before I'm bound to one of these dragons.

There's no harm done in thoroughly investigating.

I took his hand and allowed him to help me out the chair. I quickly let go and walked out with him following behind.

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 10/21/19

Sorry for missing last week! But I will warn you that I won't be able to upload a chapter this week. I will be going under laser eye surgery so I'll be blind for a bit.

I don't know how long I need to heal for, or if I'll be given strict rules to keep away from screens. But I'll be back the following week!

Vote! Comment! & Share!