Part 7 - Episode 5

Kol froze in shock, not expecting that answer. He had known that they needed a special edge to kill the Hollow, but this idea is entirely outlandish. The creation of the Beast had caused his family numerous problems. The idea is that after so long of being the strongest creatures, the idea that there is someone stronger than them. It was a very disturbing thought. 

"The Beast? What do you mean by that?" Vincent asked, frowning in confusion. He seemed slightly irritated over being left out. 

"A problem made in a different world, where different choices were made." Kol casually answered the witch, only adding to the poor warlock's confusion. The original waved his hand dismissively in Vincent's direction. 

"Yes, and I am supposed to know exactly what you mean." Vincent snorted, nodding his head as if he knew what was going on. 

"It is a spell made to upgrade original vampires." Davina finally answered the witch, stepping in between the two men. 

"Upgrade? What is there to upgrade!" Vincent asked incredulously. 

"A lot of things, but even by upgrading our strength, how will that make any difference against a witch like the Hollow?" 

"Kol. Tell me this. If you were still a witch, would you be able to defeat the Hollow?" Davina suddenly asked, looking at Kol's face with an odd expression. 

"Well, I am not entirely sure, given that I haven't had my magic for over 1000 years, but I would be able to give the Hollow a good fight. Given that I have studied magic for a long time, and was considered a magic prodigy during my time, I wouldn't underestimate myself." The original informed the pair, with a sigh. As Kol continued with his explanation, Vincent slowly grew more and more surprised, an unreadable expression entering his eyes. 

"However, darling, I have searched for a way to get my magic back for over 1000 years. If there was a way, I would have found it by now." Kol pointed out, sighing. 

"Not, exactly," Vincent, of all people, spoke up, his eyes carefully narrowed in thought, "When I was younger, I was always curious about the transition from witch to vampire. In fact, you don't lose your magic, but it is rather sealed inside you. Using a piece of white oak, I might have been able to break that barrier." 

"Why white oak?" Kol asked, his entire demeanour tight and stiff. There was a slight sliver of hope showing in his eyes, hidden by layers of missed opportunities. 

"White Oak is your one weakness. Therefore, while the body would have been able to protect itself from any other material, it is entirely vulnerable to that type of wood. Given that the barrier is a part of you, it shares your bodies strengths... and weaknesses." Vincent explained, waving his hands towards the couple in front of him. 

"Sadly, given that all White Oak has been destroyed, we must think of an alternative. Such a shame! I am pretty sure that this would have worked." The warlock lamented, closing his eyes with a tired groan. 

"Well then, I guess that it is a good thing that I saved a bit of it, isn't it?" Kol spoke up, shaking his head in amazement. He had always associated that type of wood with death, and now it is being used to help them all stay alive. Oh, the irony!

"You did?" Vincent repeated, adopting a surprised expression. Kol merely nodded, giving his counterpart a sad smile, letting the man decipher it on his own. Holding his hand up for a moment, he disappeared for a moment and returned with the White Oak in his hand. 

"Wait!" He called out before giving the piece to Vincent, "Are you sure this will work?" 

"I am not sure, but I am pretty confident in this idea," Vincent spoke firmly, nodded his head towards the hesitant original in understanding. With a sigh, Kol handed the piece of wood to the witch. 

"Well then. Let's get started."