Chapter 8 ------- A man of value

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

We did not sleep in our new house that day, because we had not packed our loads from our former house but that did not stop Efua and Kofi from jumping all around the house.

They were the first to find out that there was a swimming pool in the house and those two idiots actually threw me into the pool knowing fully well that my swimming skill is close to zero. Well, praises to the Almighty, I did not drown😌.

It had been decided that we would move into our new house during the weekend and anticipation was at the top of my mind.

I spent the week gisting with Farida and Mide. We had really became so close. It was as if we've known each other for so long, how I wish Angel was with us; we would all make a great team.

Speaking of Angel, I went to her house during the week and knocked and waited at their gate for almost 30 minutes but I did not get any response not to talk of somebody showing up. I could not help but think that something was fishy in that family.

Let's talk about something else 🤔.....
I asked my dad why we had to relocate. Not that I was not happy about it but I was just curious since he did not mention anything about purchasing any house.

My dad started by saying something I would forever remember.

Flashback.

'Success is more permanent when you achieve it without destroying your principles'. 'All of you should sit down and listen to this' my dad spoke gesturing his hands for us to sit.

'Early last month, I was in my office when one of the nurses came to inform me that the General Manager needed me to come to his office. I left what I was doing and went to his office.

When I got to his office, he asked me to append my signature under a contract. I read through the contract and found out that he asked me to sign under a contract which stated that we have 5 million naira to an orphanage whereas we never did anything like that'. 'Haaa' we all gasped.

'Exactly the same way I could not close my mouth' my dad continued.

'I knew the CEO to be very generous. We usually give free treatment and money to orphans most of the time but not up to that amount and the fact that the General Manager whom I considered a man of integrity was the one to bring an offer of fraud even to me was so annoying.

Are you surprised? the man asked me that ridiculous question and that was when I found my voice. I asked him if the CEO knew about it and his reply was.... Who would tell him.... With all due respect sir, I believe you have known me now for up to 7 years and I'm sure you should be aware now that I am a man of principle and integrity. For you to even call me to offer me a fraud contract is a slap to my face. I refuse to work with you in this mission to ruin this hospital no matter how much you wish to offer me. Have a nice day sir....After saying that, I walked out of his office.

He continued threatening and tormenting me for weeks. It got to a stage that I was about to tender my resignation letter but decided against it simply because I thought about others who would fall victim into his hands. I tried telling the CEO but all my efforts were futile. To cut the long story short..last week I got a call from the CEO and when I got to his office, I saw the General Manager conversing seriously with the CEO. At that moment, I made up my mind to expose the General Manager. I greeted the CEO and he asked me to sit. The GM looked at me and smiled and I was suspicious.

All my suspicions became reality when the CEO accused me of fraud. Instead of shouting I brought out my phone and played an audio of when the GM was threatening to end my career if I didn't join hands with him'. 'Wow!' Efua exclaimed. 'We have a smart dad' I clapped my hands and Kofi and Efua joined me. My mum was not even surprised...she was just smiling... Like I guessed, she already knew everything that was going on. They never hide anything from each other.

My dad smiled and continued his story.

'I expected the CEO to be angry with the GM but he started laughing and even the GM joined him. I was just staring at them trying to think of what was funny. After a while they stopped laughing and explained to me that it was a test.'

'Oh. My. God' I shouted. 'What if you had failed' Kofi added with his eyes wide.

'My children, you should know that your father will always stand by his principle. I would never compromise for anything and that is what I want you to learn from me. Always side the truth no matter what. Don't forget what I said when I started this story that success is more permanent when you achieve it without destroying your principles.

You do not have to follow the multitude to do wrong. Just because everybody does it does not make it right. Always strive to become a man of value. My decision to not accept the deal brought us to this house' my dad explained to us but I still had questions.

As if he could see through me, he continued talking ' I know you still have questions Bukola. To answer your question...after telling me it was a test, I was given a key. At first I thought it was a car key not until the CEO told me to follow his driver to go and check out our new house. I was more than surprised and my joy knew no bounds when he told me of my promotion on that same day. I couldn't believe my ears...I thought I was dreaming but here I am with my family in our new house. We wanted to be sure and certain before telling you guys and I guess today is a perfect day.'

'Is this house for the hospital or permanently for us' Efua asked.
'It is ours and even if I decide to resign tomorrow, nothing changes' my dad replied and we were all very happy.

End of flashback

'I believe you guys are already packing' my mum's voice ended my flashback. Tomorrow is the D-day when we are moving to the new house.

I looked around me to look at my room very well in order to store its image in my head. I will surely miss this house together with my childhood memories in here. But I couldn't wait to get to our new house. I would arrange my room so neatly. I can't even imagine how beautiful it would be when I'm done 😋😋.

To think that many wonderful things have happened within this first week of resumption; a new house on my parents wedding anniversary....I couldn't be more grateful to God.

I opened my wardrobe and started packing my clothes first. Not long after, Efua entered and joined me while gisting at the same time.

Author's note
Hello Lovelies🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌......
Trust you are doing well....
Happy new month💃💃💃
Welcome to the month of Father Christmas....
Pls🙏🙏🙏click on that star button to vote and plssssss comment....your comments mean a lot to me💆💆💆
Don't forget one thing though.... I love you all...😘😘