Let the Journey Begin

The day had finally come. It had been a long road for certain, but it was finally here. You had gotten your gear together, packed up most of your favorite foods and drinks, and declared the official start to your adventure here and now. You had said goodbye to your parents, hugging them a little as you walked outside the house. Once you did, you saw Serena walking down the street towards you and the others joined in. For a little while, you guys walked down to the lab and got to see Sycamore once again.

Sycamore nodded as you guys walked into the lab and moved through to the starters table.

Sycamore: Alright everyone. Take your pick!

You and Serena smiled the widest as you guys went in to take your picks. Trevor also walked up to inspect the three pokemon for the starters. Sycamore hung back to watch as you guys made your selection as Shauna stayed in the background. Eventually, you and Serena had made your choices at the same time and grabbed the pokemon. You took Froakie and Serena nabbed Fennekin. You both looked to one another and nodded.

As you two took a step back, Trevor had made his choice with Chespin. Shauna made her choice with Chespin as well and Tierno took another Froakie. Together, the five of you had made your selection. When you guys did, you turned over to face Sycamore as he nodded at your selections. He walked over to another work table and grabbed a few Pokedex for you all.

Sycamore: Now then, as with most other professors, this Pokédex and the mission to completely fill it is totally optional. But, you will be given some key pieces of information with them regardless. And whatever the path any of you decide to go down, I hope you all will be safe, have fun and enjoy yourselves.

You all nodded and you turned to Serena and smirked a little. You moved to walk out of the lab as Serena followed behind you. However, you stopped yourself when you noticed Trevor was not with you guys at all. You glanced back and saw that Trevor was standing with Sycamore, already going over some fresh data on Mega Evolutions. He glanced back to you as the others continued outside and he gave you a peace sign.

You nodded back and gave him a two-finger salute before walking outside. Once you did reach the outside world, you saw Tierno already walking down a path.

(Y/N): Where is he off to?

Shauna: Performer route. There are a couple of competitions and he's going to be prepped for those.

(Y/N): Well then. At least he knows what he's doing. Maybe we can see him perform sometime.

Shauna: Yeah!

You smiled as you turned back to Serena.

(Y/N): Serena?

Serena was looking down at her Pokeball, almost like she zoned out the world. You walked over to her and shocked her out of the zoned-out state of mind by placing a hand down on her shoulder.

Serena: Ye-yeah. What's up?

(Y/N): So, what's the game plan for you?

Serena: I'm not sure. I mean, I am going around to battle the gym leaders.

(Y/N): I know that. But do you still want to ride around? Cheer each other on?

Serena: I'm still not sure. I guess we might as well. What about you, Shauna?

You guys looked back and saw Shauna was gone. You both were stunned a little just to see her gone. You sighed a little before you turned back to Serena and shrugged. She nodded and you both began to walk down the path towards victory. Wasn't that long or tedious of a walk, but it was still a long way towards Santalune City. Luckily, you guys were able to land some nice pokemon on your journey with little problem. You landed yourself a Pidgey and Serena got her hands on a Fletchling.

When she secured the capture, you turned her and smirked a little bit.

(Y/N): You just love rubbing in that Talonflame incident, don't you?

Serena turned back to you and giggled a little bit.

Serena: Your crowning achievement.

(Y/N): Oh yeah. Laugh it up. You know you love me.

Serena: Sure. Whatever you say.

You playfully pumped your fist up into the air as you guys continued to move towards Santalune City. The gym leader, Viola was a Bug Type leader, so it was going to be a little rough. But considering you had a flying type under your belt, you should be alright. And Serena did have Fennekin which meant that she had an even greater advantage.

You both walked into the city and were enjoying how quaint the city really was. For being one of the smaller cities in the region, it still was a busy town as it was. As you two walked up to the gym, you could feel some nerves begging to rise. You were ready to take on this gym with flying colors. As you were walking up, you looked over to Serena and saw she had a look of nervousness as well. You placed a hand on her shoulder and she nodded back to you.

Together, you both walked back into the gym. Once inside, you could see Viola on the other side of the massive arena. She looked over to you both and smiled as she walked up.

Viola: Hello, hello! I take it you two are here for a friendly battle.

(Y/N): That's the plan!

Viola: Lovely! Which one is up first?!

You smirked and stepped forward. Unknown to you, Serena was a bit taken aback but stepped away and nodded. Viola nodded back as she walked over to her side of the arena. You turned back to Serena and smiled at her.

(Y/N): Wish me luck.

Serena: You'll be fine.

Serena walked back, almost in a speed-running stern notion. You were confused but shook it off and went back to your section of the arena. You got into your post and smiled as you glanced up to Serena. You nodded at her as Viola threw out Surskit. You smirked a little and tossed out Pidgey. You had to ready yourself. This would be a tough match up. Especially if Surskirt knew any powerful water-type attacks.

Viola: Surskirt, use Bubble!

There it was!

(Y/N): Quick attack to dodge and counter! Take her down in a single blow!

Pidgey called out and spun around in the air before moving with insane speeds around the arena. Surskirt launched several beams of bubbles towards your pokemon, but luckily, Pidgey was able to evade them, using quick attack as a way to completely avoid the attacks. And when Pidgey had a close enough range and had more room to maneuver, the pokemon dived down, built up enough speed, and crashed into Surskirt with maximum power, and took her down in a single blow.

(Y/N): Easy!

Pidgey flew back to your side of the arena and slowly fluttered down and landed. Viola tossed out her next and final pokemon, her Vivillon.

Viola: Tackle!

(Y/N): Dodge it and go in for Gust!

Vivillon charged forward and attempted to go in for a quick tackle. Pidgey was able to dodge the attacks constantly and left room open for a wide enough attack range to allow gust to be used. And once Vivillon was stuck inside the vortex, it was all but over. You smirked as you returned Pidgey to his poke ball and walked up to Viola.

Viola: Not bad young man.

(Y/N): Yep. Just that good.

Viola: Don't be too cocky now. You may never know how good you have it until it's too late.

(Y/N): I can manage.

Viola nodded, although she did so reluctantly. She dropped the badge in your hand and turned her head up to face Serena.

Viola: Are you ready?

Serena: Yes Ma'am!

Viola: Then come on down! It's time to get to work.

You walked out of the arena and met Serena halfway to the stands. You smiled at her but she seemed to avoid your eye line. Well, whatever that was about, it didn't matter to you. You got your first badge and that's all that matters.

If only you knew just how painfully the next few weeks would be. Or years...