Never Going to Let You Go

You had opted to spend the night with Serena, just as a way to ensure she would be alright. It wasn't that you didn't trust her; you had just figured it would be best to make sure she would be alright in the morning. Plus...damn, did her spare bedroom feel more comfortable than the crap you were laying on back at the shelter. You awoke that morning refreshed and well-rested. Smacking your lips, you looked at your phone and saw you had a couple of calls, mainly from the shelter and Michael.

You had given him your number just to make sure you were kept up to date on a few things. But you really didn't care about answering him at this time. You yawned and stretched a little, feeling good for the first time in a few months. You walked over to the window, and instead of seeing a brick wall like from the shelter or a busy and violent street like your old apartment, you saw green fields and a beautiful sunrise.

You took a deep breath and smiled a little, opening the window.

(Y/N): So...this is what it feels like. Incredible.

You smiled and closed the window as you felt the AC going. You yawned a little and walked out of your room and down the stairs. You glanced around, not really finding much to look at. Each wall was bare, and little to no pictures to look out for. Except for one of Serena and her mother. You rubbed your chin a little and walked on down, and arrived in the kitchen.

Delphox was already there, brewing up some morning tea. You walked on over and sat down on a bar stool as Delphox snapped her head back to you. She glared at you, getting you to sigh and stand up and back away.

(Y/N): Better?

Delphox scoffed but both your heads turned to the stairs as you heard them creek a little. Serena stepped down and looked at you both. Her eyes glanced around a little, and she raised an eyebrow.

Serena: What?

(Y/N): Nothing on my end. (Glances to Delphox) What's her deal?

Serena: I haven't been down in the morning in some time, I guess.

Serena walked over and sat down on the bar stool next to yours. You stepped around and entered the kitchen, finding things out for yourself. Delphox glared at you until Serena snapped her fingers, looking a little upset with her long-time partner on the battlefield. Delphox rolled her eyes and got back to work, making breakfast. You glanced at her and then over to Serena.

(Y/N): So, does she normally do this?

Serena: Yeah. Why?

(Y/N): Greninja just kinda lays around and does nothing. Makes me more independent, I guess.

Serena shrugged and rubbed her cheek. You went ahead and made some toast and coffee for yourself. Serena simply watched as you went ahead and ate by yourself. You rubbed your eyes slightly as you ate.

Serena: Why are you still here?

(Y/N): I'm hungry. Figured you would still need some help.

Serena: I'm fine. Really.

(Y/N): I know. But it doesn't hurt to push sometimes. Look, either way, we need to make sure we both are better. And right now, it is best to decide that sooner rather than later. Don't you agree?

Serena: I mean, sure. I'm just saying.

(Y/N): Then trust me on this one.

Serena sighed and closed her eyes slowly. She looked up back at you and sighed.

Serena: Alright then. I...I guess I can trust you. Now, where do we go from here?

(Y/N): That's entirely up to you. I know what I'm doing.

Serena: Well, how can you help me if you don't give me an idea, then what on earth do I do?

(Y/N): Serena, I really just can't say anything about that. I'm going to dictate your life. That's not how you help someone in this case scenario. It's...it's all case by case basis. I...I'm sorry.

Serena sighed again and sat down. She glanced over to you and rubbed her temples. You sighed as well and sat down beside her. You placed a hand on her shoulder and sighed a little.

(Y/N): It's just how things need to be sometimes.

Serena: I know. I know. I'm just...I'm just trying right now.

(Y/N): We both are trying so much. But we can't keep doing this to ourselves. We need to fix this! Our ways.

You stood up and patted her back. She looked back at you as you began to walk away from her. She stood up and looked a little.

Serena: (Y/N)?

(Y/N): I need to start heading out. As for what you do from here, it's all up to you.

Serena nodded a little and let you walk out. She sat back down on the bar stool and just had to think. You made your way back to the shelter. You pushed your hands into your pocket and looked around the city. You couldn't really find much in the wake of happiness, but you were more than happy to speak with Serena again. As you walked, you past by the lab belonging to Professor Sycamore.

You were half tempted to check it out, but then you couldn't help but remember the idea that Trevor was there. He wasn't worth your time. If he didn't want you there, same with Tierno and Shauna, there is no reason for you to push back into their lives. You returned to the shelter a few hours later. When you returned, you found Greninja there, sitting on your bed. Once he saw you, he got off of your bed and hugged you.

You were slightly taken aback but hugged him back once more. You softly petted his head, and Michael walked over to you. You guys greeted one another, and you filled him in on what had happened the night before. He was a bit concerned about what he heard, but after constant reassurance, Michael finally caved and got out of your business. You decided to hang back for a few more days, just relaxing, doing some odd jobs for a few days to get quick cash.

Once done, you told your newfound friends at the shelter you were heading out. You knew what you needed to do. And when the day finally arrived, you were by your bed, packing up what little things you had left. You hadn't heard from Serena since then, so you had just assumed things were going fine. Greninja was sitting on your bed, meditating a little. Once packed, you stood up and smiled a little, slinging your bag over your shoulder.

(Y/N): Ready, bud?

Greninja looked around, seemingly a little concerned. You offered him your hand, silently asking him the question. He looked slightly concerned yet, happy. He grabbed your hand, and you smiled at him. Quickly, you hugged him, pulling him in close to you.

(Y/N): Thank you. For being my friend.

Greninja, while taken aback, hugged you back and smiled a little. You two separated, and you stood up and stretched your back again.

(Y/N): Alright pal. We got a long road till Kanto. We got the team fully energized, and I'm ready to rumble.

Greninja nodded at you. You gave him a fist bump and started your walk. You whistled a little and got to say your goodbyes. The people there were some of the nicest, but at the same time, you knew it was time. And so they did. Mutual understandings were really helpful. You walked down the street on your way to the bus. You had enough money to go ahead and get a boat ticket and plenty of food to let you survive the next couple of weeks while in Kanto.

You, fortunately, knew a few people in the region, and they were willing to let you stay with them while you tried to piece your life together. However, you then got a sudden phone call...from Shauna.

(Y/N): Shauna? What's going-

Shauna: Where are you?! Have you seen the news?!

(Y/N): Whoa! What is-

Shauna: Serena killed herself.