Chapter 24

I must have been sitting in this same position for at least 3 hours, contemplating how I am going to get out of this small cramped room without him seeing. I haven't heard anyone for a while, about 2 hours ago I heard the bathroom door closing down the hall, I should've ran then. But I didn't. Now don't ask me why, I don't know. Maybe part of me wanted to hear him out. Maybe he had a genuine reason as to why he had a room full of deadly weapons. Maybe he's a police officer, or an ex-military vet... Every scenario ran through my mind and again a second as I tried to figure out what to do.

Finally standing up and stretching my legs I let out a nervous breath. "He said he won't hurt you." I whisper to myself quietly as I build up the courage to open the door. reaching for the lock I slowly turn it until I hear a click. Feeling my heart pounding in my chest I place one hand on the door and keep the other on the lock and push. Popping my head out I look down the hall towards the stairs, nothing. Holding my breath to focus on my hearing I wait to hear footsteps or something indicating where about in the house Micah is.

I hear soft calm snores coming from the hall. Squinting my eyes in the dark I make out a figure slouched on the wall behind the door. Its him. But why isn't he doing anything? I creep closer and knee down Infront of him. Pushing the fear to the depths of my brain I lean closer... He's asleep. I kneel there watching, thinking. He sat out here all night in the cold?

"Micah?" I whisper as I gently shake his leg. He suddenly shoots up straight and pivots his head to the side before he settles on me.

"Liliah..." He begins.

"Shhh... we will talk later. Just go to bed." I cut him off, standing up I walk backwards until I'm leaning against the wall behind me.

"Come with me. Please." He whispers as a piece of hair falls on his forehead.

Shaking my head, I reply "No I can't... not right now. I'm going next door, I'll come over tomorrow at 8, don't forget I still have to babysit your daughter." I wish I could stay but until I know the truth. The whole truth I can't let myself trust him. Not yet.

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"Ok goodnight, Liliah."

"Goodnight, Micah." I turn and walk towards the stairs. As I reach the top, I hear Micah shout my name.

"I won't hurt you. Ever. You know that right?" He asks nervously.

"I do." With that I walk down the stairs, thinking who the hell I have fallen in love with.