46 Remnants of Fire Blow Like Sand in the Night

A year and a half after Bobby's breakdown, it is New Year's Eve. He's headed to a party that Lili isn't attending. Oops, she attended. It turns out, time does NOT heal all wounds. 

But it's a start.

**

Bobby shifted uncomfortably in the overly warm Uber and stared at the last message he'd gotten from Lucas.

I gave it one more try last night, but I couldn't convince her to come.

Lucas had done his damnedest to get Lili to attend this New Year's party. He wanted the whole original cast there. She and Hope were still close friends, so he'd expected her to say yes, and had been shocked that no amount of pleading or details could budge her.

But Bobby wasn't shocked. It was because of him. He knew it was.

He sat the phone on his lap and stared out the window at the rushing London cityscape. Even after a year and a half, Lili lingered in his mind, in his soul. He missed her unbearably. Though he'd only known her for a few weeks, she'd carved a massive hole in his heart And nothing comforting his therapist said about grief and healing could assuage that pain.

Since leaving the show, she'd gone completely off the public radar. She'd shut down her social media accounts, moved, and was rarely spotted by the press. If she'd been offered brand deals or exclusive "tell-your-side" interviews, she turned them all down, just like he had. She'd truly vanished from the world. From his world. Now she was a wraith. The ghost of heartache past.

No. The ghost of heartache present.

He wondered if he haunted her just as much. Or if she'd simply closed the door on what they'd had and moved on with her life.

"Your destination!" The driver chirped as she pulled up to the pavement. "I hope the party lives up to that suit!"

His gold sequined blazer was a hit everywhere he went. He gave her a grin. "Thanks! Have a happy new year!" He climbed out and took a deep breath. The crisp cold air was a relief after the stifling heat of the car.

Outside the club, there were numerous photographers gathered on either side of a blue carpet that led to the door. "Bobby Sweetcakes!" one of them shouted. "Over here!" The cameras clicked and clacked, the flashes nearly blinding him.

He adjusted his bow tie and gave them a series of ridiculous poses, putting his hand on his chin to look thoughtful and then shifting to finger guns. Fame had its ups and downs, but he didn't hate the photos.

"Bobby, how have you been?"

"Have you talked to Lili?"

"Are you dating anyone?"

"Is Lili gonna be here tonight?"

He did however hate that part. Holding on to his smile, he gave them a final wave and headed for the entrance without answering.

Inside, tons of people were already laughing and chugging champagne. He was fashionably late, mostly because he'd been dreading this party. Normally he loved a good hootenanny, and he had no doubt that Lucas could throw a great one, but seeing everyone again as a group after all this time, felt overwhelming.

He took a calming breath and eyed the violent neon decor. Lucas had clearly not been shy about going all out. He'd rented the entirety of an extremely expensive nightclub decorated with a beach theme. They were surrounded by realistic looking foliage and there was a lagoon-esque dance floor with lights built into it that swayed like water. Lucas had told him even the canapes were tropically themed. Jesus.