15 Captivated by You Baby Like a Fireworks Show

The air was charged all day, like that moment after a flash of lightning when you hold your breath in the silence, knowing thunder is on its way.

Bobby had only seen Lili a handful of times that morning and afternoon. He'd swam, worked out, played volleyball, cooked lunch, and done a dozen other things to get his mind off of her. The few times she'd appeared she was her normal self, cracking jokes, and soothing the egos of everyone around her. But when she thought no one was looking, her pageant smile slipped.

Of course it did. She was going to go home if no one picked her. Yet she carried on same as always; no ire for Priya and no longing for Ibrahim. No grafting either.

Maybe she was waiting for the thunder too.

He headed for the kitchen to fill up his water bottle. He rounded the corner and found Lili standing with her back to him, at the counter. As he came closer, he saw she was furtively eating one of his cupcakes out of the container.

"What happened to being a master of delayed gratification?" he asked.

She jumped and turned, her eyes wide with guilt. "I'm sorry!"

He grinned. "Joking. You don't have to sneak lass, you can have it."

She slumped against the counter. "Good. Because I wasn't going to stop, even if you were upset with me. I need this."

He leaned against the counter beside her and she broke off part of the cupcake and handed it to him. He ate it, debating whether the icing was too sweet or not and deciding that it was. Just a touch. The cake was perfect though.

"You alright?" he asked.

She sucked a smear of frosting off of her thumb. "I'm always alright."

"I don't know if that's true."

She smiled and a little dimple appeared and it nearly murdered him wanting to kiss it.

"It's true enough. Even when I'm not alright, I eventually become alright."

He shook his head. "You should be out there grafting."

"I can't. It's too awful. Flirting with other girls' partners is bad enough, but grafting is just...even if I liked someone, it would seem like I was just using them and I wouldn't want anyone to feel that way."

Even if she liked someone? Did she...not like him?

She took another bite. "These are the best things I've ever put in my mouth."

He smirked. "Oh I'm sure you—wait, did you say 'these?' How many have you eaten?" He turned and looked at the container. She'd spaced the cupcakes far apart to hide her crime but the evidence was visible.

She swallowed the last bite and held up three fingers. "I had the one you gave me for breakfast and then they just kept calling to me!"

"Woman this is a crime."

"I'm guilty by reason of insanity."

"This place will do that to you." He put the lid back on the container and stuffed it in the refrigerator, far away from her. The camera man who'd roamed around them silently, turned and wandered off toward the pool where everyone was sitting around.

Bobby blew out a breath. "Care to have a chat with me?"

"Aren't we doing that now?"

"A private one."

She nodded and followed him as he led her up to the rooftop terrace, which was blissfully empty. No men with cameras. Though he knew there were stationary ones everywhere.