40 Feels Like Summer But It's Earthquake Weather

Thank you for your patience! Enjoy this weird chapter. There's some danger yoga, Julius Caesar with pool noodles, toes, angsty moping, and an unwelcome surprise for the boys. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

***

A bowl landed on the sofa table in front of Bobby and the sudden clatter made him jump. He'd been staring into space for over an hour, trying to wake up from the sleep he'd never had.

"I brought you breakfast!" Yuna chirped, handing him a spoon. "You looked like you could use a pick-me-up."

He poked at the medley of fruits carefully placed in the center of the goop like a decorative bow on a gift. He didn't have the heart to tell her how much he loathed yoghurt, so he scooped a few chunks of strawberry out and ate them while she watched eagerly. "Uh, thank you!" He forced energy into the words

"You're welcome. Breakfast is so important. We're probably going to have lots to do today, I just know it. This is Love Island after all, and you have to have energy for all the fun we're going to hav..." Her words trailed off as Emily walked by in a yellow bikini, her face drawn, avoiding eye contact with everyone as she headed upstairs. "Did you hear about Emily?" Her voice dropped to a whisper. "I heard that she and Jakub—" she made a confusing gesture that looked like rabbit ears churning the air.

"Hey Yuna!" Siobhan wandered over holding a steaming bowl. "Everyone's working out and Noah asked if you wanted to join."

"Really?" Yuna sat up like a meerkat, tucking a lock of dark hair behind her ear. "Okay!" Without looking back, she shot out the door.

Siobhan dropped into the now-vacant seat beside him. "Noah didn't say that. I just figured you could use a break." He couldn't help but laugh at her mischievous grin. "Yuna insisted on bringing you yoghurt and Blake said that you didn't like it and they argued about it. I figured Blake was right. She pays attention to everything." Siobhan handed him a bowl of hot porridge topped with jagged bananas and honey. "Here."

He breathed in the warmth and his stomach gurgled cheerfully. He dug the spoon into the sweet steaming oats, but he could feel Siobhan's eyes on him. Sighing, he sat the bowl down. "Look I appreciate this, but I should tell yo—"

"I know," she said. "You're loyal to Lili."

His chest tightened. Lili's name on someone else's lips was a painful pleasure. She wasn't there, but she was real. She existed. And he loved her.

Siobhan leaned back and assessed him with dark sparking eyes. "Blake pretty much said it was a lost cause to chase after you. I don't think she expected that." She paused. "I'm not fussed, though. You're definitely not my type."

"What?" He pressed a hand to his chest. "Do you have something against gorgeous and funny?"

A throaty laugh shot out of her. "I'm sorry! I like more serious boys."

He kept the smile on his face, despite wanting to sneer. "What, like Noah?"

"Ugh, no. There's serious and then there's..."

A tiny spark of excitement shot through him. He was longing for someone to slag Noah off. "Then there's what?"

She leaned closer. "Then there's a mardy shapeshifter who molds himself to whatever girl is closest to his willy."

It was Bobby's turn for a sharp laugh. "Ooooooh wow."

"I'm sorry! I know that's harsh, but I'm just not impressed with him. Maybe he's a perfectly nice boy and the show has him all wrong, but he aggravates me. I think I'm the only one who feels that way. Some of these girls..." she trailed off. "I hate gossiping and that's exactly what I'm doing, isn't it?"