37 Like the Colors in Autumn So Bright Just Before They Lose It All

Thank you for your endless patience. If all goes to plan, the next chapter will be up next week! What I originally wrote was far too long to be just one chapter. 

***

"Have you noticed the weird vibe in the villa?" Marisol asked, staring down at the vibrant red varnish she was applying.

Bobby fought a yawn and lost. "It's so weird. Everyone is acting off. This morning I asked Lottie if she wanted to read my tea leaves and she muttered something about Mercury in retrograde and said my shorts were negatively affecting her energies."

Sitting in front of him on the daybed, Lili's lips twitched with amusement. But she kept her body still as she gripped his hand and focused on painting his fingernails a purple so dark it looked black in all but the brightest of light. "I don't know about a weird vibe, but I talked to Hope for most of the night last night," she murmured. "She's struggling but seems resigned to Noah choosing someone else. I can't convince her otherwise."

"Maybe because that someone could be you," Marisol said. He nearly choked. Oh god. It could be.

"Nah." She held his hand and stared at his nails before nodding and grabbing his other hand to apply a topcoat. "I chatted to him for a mo when we first woke." His head shot up. Why were they talking this morning?

"He's choosing Hope," she continued. "Despite everything, he still cares about her. For whatever that's worth."

He blew out a breath. That was a relief at least. Not that it mattered. As soon as he talked to Gary and Lottie, he'd be standing in front of the entire villa, telling everyone how serious he was about her. After that, nothing would keep them apart.

Unless she said no, of course.

He looked at the crisp white duvet and shook his head. She'd say yes. She would. Because he had no idea how he would breathe again if she didn't.

"You're frowning," Lili said.

"What? I never do that."

Rolling her eyes, she reached toward him and smoothed the space between his brows. He exhaled, the tension leaving him at her touch. As if his entire body were in her control. "Babe are you alright?" she asked. "You look knackered."

"I'm still having trouble sleeping. I don't know what's going on with me." He'd struggled to sleep as a bairn, but never like this. Without Lili he couldn't rest, and she'd come to bed extremely late. He wasn't able to drift off until she was curled around him, so he'd barely fallen unconscious before the alarms forced everyone awake.

"Poor sweet la." She stroked his cheek and went back to painting. "When I can't sleep, I need heat. A steaming cuppa and a hot shower before bed. It might help. Then, afterward, I'll rub your neck."

"I'd like that." His insides fluttered; those leaves in the storm swirling. She wanted to take care of him.

Her face was tight with concentration as she applied the topcoat, her lashes casting shadows on her cheeks. She made slow steady strokes, hell-bent on not making a single mistake. He smiled as he watched her work.

"My biggest concern right now is Priya," Marisol declared.

"Why?" He flapped his free hand around, helping the varnish dry.

"Think of the damage she'll do if Noah chooses Hope again. She'll become even more reckless." Marisol reached for her topcoat. "It's been like fighting fires with all the drama and I'm afraid she'll undo the effort we've put into keeping the villa stable."