4 The Clouds Look...Uncertain

Lili headed for the daybeds and Bobby followed behind her. She chose the one furthest in the shade and sat with her back to the pool area, effectively shielding them from view of everyone, including Ibrahim who was working out. Was that purposeful, her choice to sit there? Or was the show already making him paranoid about everyone's motivations?

He flopped down beside her. For some reason lying down made him feel better. Maybe because standing up he felt like his legs would give out when he was next to her.

"Soooo," he drawled. "You think I'm the hottest guy here?"

She pulled her knees up to her chest and nodded. "Yep."

"Have you not seen the other boys?" he asked.

"I have. And I stand by my selfie choice. Which you can delete if you like. It won't hurt my feelings."

"Are you kidding? I've already forwarded it to my personal cell. I'm keeping it forever. It's adorable."

"Plus the cleavage," she said, a little dimple appearing on either side of her mouth.

"Oh yeah, that was the adorable part."

She laughed. "You're too funny."

"So uh, I have to ask. If I'm funny and you think I'm the hottest guy here..." he took a breath. "Why didn't you choose me?"

She looked away from him for a moment, playing with the jingly bracelet on her wrist that matched the one on her ankle. "I don't know."

"Was it my sad attempt at charm? The freckles? Is it the abs? Ibrahim's stomach looks like a loaf of pull apart rolls. Or maybe a xylophone."

She pressed her lips together, but her eyes sparkled with laughter.

"I was right! It's the abs."

"It's not!" she said. "Anyway you have abs." She poked her fingers to his stomach. "You're gorgeous. Stop fishing for compliments."

"I'm not fishing so much as begging."

Her fingers grazed his abdomen. "You're going to get me into so much trouble, pastry chef." Without the usual laughter dancing in her eyes, she looked as bewildered as he was. Her cheeks turned a rosy pink. So, she felt this...thing as well. That was a relief. He wasn't going mad. There was something between them, an arcing spark he'd never experienced before.

"Am I the type of guy you usually go for?"

"I don't think I have a type," she said. "I haven't done a lot of dating. Or grafting."

That threw him. "How is that even possible?"

She laughed. "I'm pretty friendly and outgoing in a crowd, but I'm also a bit of a homebody. I was in school forever and now I work a lot, so I've never had much time for relationships. That's why I'm here. My best friend made me do it because she said the only way I'm going to fall in love is if someone forces me to focus on it."

"My best mate said pretty much the same thing, only with a lot more profanity and threats. He dared me to do this."

She traced circles on his stomach with the edges of her fingernails. They were both silent a moment.

"Right." He sat up and they were suddenly very, very close. "I'll come straight out with it. I feel like's a lot of chemistry building up between us."

"I've noticed that," she said softly.

The wind lifted the loose curls in her hair, making them dance. He caught a lock between his fingers, stroking the soft coil before slipping it behind her ear. She licked her lower lip and he swallowed. She smelled like strawberries and sweet shea butter. What would she taste like? The promise of a kiss hung in the air between them. Her eyes dropped to his lips and he leaned into her.

"Text!" Marisol hollered from the pool. "Guys, I got a text!"

A cock block from the heavens. Or maybe just from the producers.

Lili gave an apologetic smile. "Time to go."

Hesitantly, he climbed off the bed and followed at a distance. When he got to the pool, Marisol was already reading the text out loud.

"'Islanders, tonight there will be a welcome party. Please get ready to say hello to a very special guest! #droppingthebombshell.'"

Everyone talked over each other so loudly Bobby couldn't tell who was saying what.

"Amazing! A party!"

"Does that mean another girl is coming in here?"

"It said bombshell, what else could it mean?"

"The girls will have to some grafting now!"

Lili stood still, worried eyes on him. He gave her a proper cheesy wink. She laughed and walked closer. "A new girl," she said. "That's gonna change things."

He gestured to the other boys. "It might for them," he said, looking at her. "But not for me."

She held his gaze, studying him intently. "You can't know that. She might be your dream girl."

"Yeah well, I mean, she might be yours."

A breathy laugh shot from her. "Ooh, then I hope she's fit as fuck." She twisted her hands together, though her smile remained in place. "You boys have all the power now."

"For a few hours anyway." Bobby bumped her shoulder with his. "I bet there'll be some snogs and bits done before the night is out. Everyone's going to try locking their partner down."

"Are you?" she asked.

"Dunno," he said. "Are you?"

She shrugged. "Dunno."

"Well then, tonight will be interesting won't it?" he asked.

"Is that the word you're going with? Interesting?"

"Pants-shittingly uncertain seemed extra."

She covered her mouth, muffling her harsh bark of laughter.

Lottie came over and gave them both disapproving looks. "Come on, Lili. We're all going to the dressing room to strategize." Her heels clacked on the pavers as she rushed into the villa, the others trekking behind her.

Lili sighed and gave him a soft smile that melted his bones. "Alright, pastry chef. Let's get this pants-shittingly uncertain evening over with."