47 Skinny Dip in Water Under the Bridge

In which Bobby and Lili arise like newborn fawns on wobbly legs, stumbling their way into something resembling friendship.  

**

"I have to go," Lili murmured against Bobby's shoulder.

"Aye," he said. But he didn't let go and neither did she. They kept swaying to the music coming from the party. She was soft and warm in his arms and there was an achy sort of peace between them that neither seemed willing to break. He held her tighter and she sighed in contentment.

After one more song, she reluctantly leaned back to look up at him. Smudges of her cried-off eye makeup shadowed the underside of her eyes and he gently wiped at it with his thumbs. "Looking hotter than gas mark 10, Lil."

She shook her head, a small smile dancing on the edges of her lips. "I'd better find the loo so I can wash up." She stepped backward. "I'm–I'm glad we spoke. Thank you for making us speak, I mean."

He nodded, unable to fully articulate how much the night meant to him. She rushed out of the room still barefoot. Laughing, he gathered up her shoes and her sturdy handbag. He leaned against the wall and gazed at their temporary playground, a helpless smile stretched across his face as he thought about Lili diving into the ball pit in a full-length party dress. He wanted to carry the sound of her raucous laughter with him forever. He wandered over and ran his fingers through the plastic spheres. It had been so nice to just... be with each other.

He plucked out a yellow ball that was nearly the same vibrant colour as Lili's dress. They should really have keepsakes of such an odd and bittersweet evening. He dug back into the pit and found an orange one. He put that one in his back pocket, and then crossed back to her things and popped the yellow one into her purse.

When she returned, the streaks of makeup had been washed away. He tried to look innocent as he held out her shoes and bag. She took them, and gave him a shy smile.

"So–"

"So–," he said at the same time.

Her sweet laugh mingled with his. After a moment, he scrubbed at the back of his neck. "Um, so this friend thing..."

"I hope you're not asking me how we do it. I haven't a clue. It was your idea." Her cheeky tone belied her stern expression.

"Oh, well then..." he snatched her handbag back and rifled through it.

Her brown eyes widened. "What are you doing, you blert?"

He pulled out her phone and held it to her face to unlock it. Then he sent himself a text from her phone, typing for a long while. He hit send and his own phone dinged. He held her phone up so she could read the text.

Hey Captain B Smooth! Not to make a show of meself like, but you looked fit AF 2nite 🔥🔥💯 If you don't text me back, I'll be pure devvoed, la 🙏🏽😭

"Really, Robert?" she said, raising an eyebrow.

He dropped her phone back into her bag and snapped it closed. "I know! I'm shocked you'd throw yourself at me like that."

"You're mad," she said as she slid her heels on.

"Completely mad." He smiled at her. "I can walk you out."

"Oh-oh no. It's alright. There are so many photographers out there. Us leaving together..."

"Aye. That makes sense."

"Okay. Sound." She gave him an awkward little wave. "I'll see you. Text you. Or, yeah." She hesitated and then walked back. Standing on her tiptoes, she gave him a kiss on the cheek. He fought his desire to lean into her warm glow. "Good night," she said softly.