18 Every Time You Shine, I'll Shine for You

After that heavy meal, everyone had retreated to the sunshine to let the food settle. Bobby floated in a pool tyre, wearing his sunglasses, mostly so he could keep looking at Lili without seeming as besotted as he felt. She sat on a sun lounger, her blue and white bikini still doing all kinds of things for him as she applied sun cream. She glanced in his direction and gave him a shy smile.

His chest felt odd.

Back in Glasgow, his favorite time of year was fall. He loved when the leaves turned golden and red, and the wind picked them up, throwing them everywhere.

That's what it felt like in his chest. Like it was full of leaves caught in an autumn breeze, spinning wildly out of control. A rainstorm of color.

Lottie shouted something at him and he turned his attention in her direction. She splashed him and he splashed her back. When he looked back toward Lili, she was no longer alone. Gary stood over her, casting a huge shadow.

Gary again? Everyone knew he fancied Lili a bit, but was he trying to turn her head? Lili had her head tilted as if considering whatever it was Gary said. The leaves in Bobby's chest began whipping around, losing their color.

Lili nodded and stood, following Gary over to the gym. She chatted for a moment before getting on the bench. He handed her a set of weights and she started doing reps. There was no way it was anything but a show so they could speak privately. No one was seriously working out after the meal they'd had.

He looked away. Beside him, on her own inflatable, Lottie's gaze went where his had left. Her green eyes narrowed and her mouth pursed up. "What do you think is going on there?" she spat.

"No idea." He stared at her. Gary wasn't Lottie's partner and they didn't even seem to like each other, especially after the rammy they had earlier, but there was no denying the jealousy in her expression. "Why? Do you fancy him or something?"

She gave him a look of disgust. "Of course not. He's a complete idiot. And he hurt Hannah." With that, she climbed off the tyre into the water and left the pool.

Huh. He looked back at the gym. They were still there. After a long time, Gary helped her up. Then he leaned in a little too close for it to be accidental. Lili laughed and stepped back, and he brushed his hands through his blonde hair as if he were frustrated. Was she playing the how long can you go without kissing me game? She gave him a pat on the shoulder and walked off, dropping onto the beanbags, where Hope and Marisol were chatting.

He was unsure how long he'd floated there brooding, but Gary was still at the gym, wiping down the equipment, as if he needed to occupy his hands. Maybe because he was thinking about putting them on Lili.

Irritation, far more irritation than the situation warranted, coursed through him. Whatever had happened, it wasn't on. If Gary decided to graft on Lili, he should at least do him the courtesy of letting him know. The longer he thought about it, the more the irritation turned to anger. This wasn't about jealousy. This was about respect. Bobby wasn't his mum, flying off the handle whenever a woman so much as glanced at his dad. He could handle people looking at the pretty girl he fancied, but he'd be damned if he'd be mugged off by someone claiming to be his pal.

He climbed off the tyre and headed for the pool steps. He was going to go over there and have a calm, rational conversation and find out Gary's intentions.

He was halfway to the gym when a phone dinged loudly.

"I got a text!" Hope shouted from the beanbags.

Oh come on. Gary rushed by him as he headed for the beanbags and Bobby followed along.

He struggled to focus as Hope read out the confusing tweet that explained the day's game. Lili grabbed his hand as they all made their way to the challenge stage and in the warmth of her touch, his anger dissipated, leaving him feeling foolish. She fancied him, not Gary. He was sure of it. Pretty sure. Kinda sure.