Chapter 5

Flashback (Jade's POV)

Again, I asked myself, what the hell am I doing here?

I wasn't overweight or anything, but I was definitely not physically fit. I was for sure the weakest in the group. That became obvious when I was the last one to complete the obstacle course, and had the longest, most embarrassing time.

To make matters worse, it was scorching hot outside. All of the running was making me queasy, but I at least had to finish.

The rest of the group had already run laps around me. Feeling like I was going to pass out, I gasped for air and dragged myself across the finishing line.

I doubled over to catch my breath and heard slow clapping behind me. I stood up straight and turned to be faced with a very disappointed looking drill sergeant.

"What in the hell was that, Thirlwall?" She asked, yelling in my face.

"I'm sorry, drill sergeant. I"

"The rest of you, at ease. Thirlwall! Edwards!" The drill sergeant yelled.

I stood at attention, honestly feeling like I'd be sick from the heat in any second, and further down the line, Perrie Edwards stepped forward.

"The rest of you can go back inside. Edwards, you had the best time. Thirlwall, you had the worst time. The two of you will work together, until Thirlwall's time improves." The drill sergeant said. "Is that understood?"

Great. I could almost feel the girl's eyes burning through the side of my head.

"Yes, drill sergeant!" We yelled in unison.

"You will not leave this field until the task is done." The drill sergeant said. "At ease. You may begin."

With that, she left the two of us standing there.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me." The blonde mumbled. "Why do I have to be stuck with the princess?"

I rolled my eyes. "There's no need to be a bitch about it. I don't like it anymore than you do."

"Whatever. Let's go." She said, walking back towards the start. I just looked at her, feeling angry and annoyed. She turned back around. "What are you waiting on, a chariot?"

I hate her.

I rolled my eyes again and followed her to the start.

"You start too fast, first of all." She said. "You're burning too much energy at the beginning. Let's go."

She pulled a stopwatch out of her pocket. I huffed and got ready to run.

"Go!" She shouted, pressing the button on her watch. "Stop!"

I stopped on my toes and turned to her. "What?!"

"That was too slow." She said. "Come back and try it again."

"Didn't you JUST say I was moving too fast?!" I yelled.

"Yes, but that didn't mean start moving like a snail! Do it again!" She yelled.

"Who do you think you are?" I scoffed at her, walking back over and folding my arms.

"I'm the one who has to help your sorry ass, now go again!" She yelled, grabbing my shoulders and turning me around.

"Get the hell off me!" I snatched away from her.

"Go!" She yelled, shoving me and hitting the button on her watch again.