Chapter 9

Jade's POV

"I told you where I was, Jordan." I replied, putting my hands on my hips.

"You're lying!" He yelled.

"Lower your damn voice before you wake up my daughter!" I whisper shouted.

"OUR daughter!" He yelled. Fucking liar. "What the hell has gotten into you?"

"I'm not the one acting different. You are." I replied. "All you do is whine!"

"I'm not fucking whining!" He yelled. "And I have every reason to be pissed!"

"No.. you really don't, you fucking liar!" I screamed, not even realizing what I was saying.

"What have I ever lied to you about?" He asked.

"Forget it, Jordan." I waved him off.

"Whatever. I know you're lying!" He yelled.

"I have no reason to lie to you. Nor am I about to do this with you right now. Goodnight." I said, pulling the covers back and getting in the bed.

"We're not done talking." He put his hands on his hips.

"I am. Goodnight, Jordan." I turned over and shut off my light, closing my eyes.

"Are you still obsessing over that soldier?" He asked accusingly.

"What the fuck does what we have going on have to do with her?" I shouted. "Why are YOU so obsessed with her? That's when you started acting different? Do you two know each other or something?" I asked, trying to throw him off.

"No, I don't fucking know her!" He yelled. "You started obsessing over her!"

"I'm done with this argument, because it's stupid. You're not making any fucking sense!" I said, closing my eyes again.

"I don't—"

"I said I'm DONE, Jordan! Stop talking to me!" I yelled.

My heart raced because I'm not the best liar, but I tried to keep a straight face while speaking of her. Even though I slipped a little.

Eventually he huffed and stormed over, shutting off his light and getting in bed behind me. I made sure to put pillows between us. Kind of childish, but I really didn't want him to touch me. Not even accidentally. I was quickly becoming sick of his lying ass.

——————

I'd been asked to provide a full report on Perrie's health to the higher ups in the military. I sat at my desk, looking over the paperwork I had to fill out, and the checklist I had to go down with her. If my findings were good enough, she would most likely be deployed right away.

But then, what did that mean for us? Whatever us is.

There was nothing wrong with her. Mentally, and for damn sure not physically. Only the arm thing, and even it was healing faster than average. She was more than fit enough to serve, but I couldn't get her begging me to say the opposite out of my head.

I could lose everything for lying. I'm not a liar. Well, not up until recently when I found out I'd been lied to. Still, it would be just plain unethical for me to lie, just because she asked me to. Plus, I'm not all that good at it.

I couldn't stop picturing her pleading eyes, though. And clearly someone there wants her gone. The first attempt was unsuccessful, and I have a feeling it's all just riding on me to send her back there so they can try again, and be absolutely certain she doesn't come back this time.

I was torn between what I was taught is right, and what I knew was right in my heart.

"Hey, you okay?" I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder, but relaxed when I looked into the warm brown eyes of my best friend.