Chapter 14

Jade's POV

"Uhh, give me one second, Leigh. I'm going to go and see what he wants." I said, standing up from my chair.

"Are you sure?" Leigh asked. "He's probably just trying to come back home."

"He has no home with me anymore, and I have no problem telling him that." I replied. "This will be quick."

She nodded and I left the office and made my way to one of the staff restrooms. I stepped inside and locked the door behind me, then leaned against the sink as I dialed his number.

"Hello?" He picked up on the first ring.

"This better be important." I said, already annoyed.

"What's up, Jade?" He asked, and I could hear him smiling. Fucking idiot.

"What do you want, Jordan. I'm at work." I said.

"I just wanted to be the one to tell you, because I can't stand that bitch. Your girlfriend is gonna die. For real this time." He laughed. "You should've just left her alone."

"She's not my girlfriend." I rolled my eyes.

"Good, then you won't miss her when she's gone." He replied, and for the life of me, I couldn't understand why he was so obsessed with her.

"You're the one who should just leave her alone. What's your problem anyway, Jordan? When did you get like this?" I asked.

"I've always been like this, but I had to pretend with you." He replied. "Years of my life wasted. I'm kind of glad you figured it out, though. I was starting to get a bit bored. Execution is more my speed."

"Wasted?" I asked, admittedly feeling a bit hurt.

Yes, I'd recently learned that he was a lying asshole, but I still loved his dumb ass for seven years, unaware of any of that. So yes, that stung.

"I hope you didn't think that I was really in love with you. I was just following orders. I was babysitting." He laughed, only making it worse.

"Orders from who?" I asked, ignoring the burning in my chest.

"Don't worry about it. Just tell your girl she should watch her back." He said.

"Why are you so hell bent on killing her if I'm the problem? You've had seven years to take me out. Was that not a part of your orders?" I asked angrily.

"No, it wasn't. She's the problem, not you." He replied.

"What? How is she the problem? I'm the one who saw something I wasn't supposed to, right?" I furrowed my brows.

"If that's what you think." He said nonchalantly, pissing me off.

"Stop being so fucking vague! Be honest!" I yelled. "Why did you need to talk to me so urgently if you were just going to talk in fucking circles?"

"I said I was never in love with you, but that doesn't mean I hated you. I know you're fucking around with her again, and he doesn't like that. I'm just giving you a heads up, so you and your daughter aren't caught in the crossfire." He replied.

"What the fuck does that even mean?" I asked frustratedly. "If you would tell me who he is, we could probably fix this a lot sooner than later."

"You don't want to know who he is." He replied. "I'm just trying to give you a heads up."

"Am I supposed to thank you for that after all of this?" I scoffed. "How about you just stop this?"

"No can do." He replied. "Like I said, I'm just following orders. You guys will be seeing me."