Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Garett Verona

"Thank you for the ride, Garett!" Marissa says while Garett set down the paper bags on bar counter.

"Don't mention it," he says.

"Hello," the three of us in the kitchen turns our heads at the sound of the voice of a woman coming from the entrance.

We saw a pretty woman that I'm assuming she's on her forties. It's not that it shows on her face, it's just that Marissa and I have the same age.

Her gaze moved towards me. "Oh, hello there, darling..." She greeted me with the sweetest smile ever and now I know where Marissa got her bright and nice attitude from.

"She's Maeve, Mom. She's the new friend that I'm talking about," Marissa announces and my eyes widened as her words catch me completely off guard.

Friend? Me?

Hold up!

Dalawang beses pa lang kaming nag-usap magkaibigan na kami kaagad? What the hell is happening?

Nagkatinginan kami ni Garett. He clench his jaw and suck the inside of his cheek as he looks down, trying to surpass a smirk because I knew he caught my attention... and I hate to admit this, but I think Garett knows me more than anyone in this kitchen.

Kahit na wala kaming gaanong matinong pag-uusap, he knew that I'm a bitter, cynical, and a defensive person who doesn't make friends so easily. Takes one to know one.

Marissa's mom takes steps forward, pulling me for a hug and a cheek to cheek kiss. "How are you, Maeve?"

"I'm... I'm good, Mrs. Morales, thank you."

I'm still astonished as fuck.

"Oh, no. Call me Tita or just Stacey, if that's how you do it in your culture," she say, nicely.

Ever get used to being fucked up multiple times that when people are being so nice to you it starts to feel suspicious? That's how I feel right now.

Please tell me this Stacey is not the motherfucking version of the fake mom of Caroline, because damn!

"Oh, I grew up in here in the Philippines," I tell her, and I hope that's enough explanation for her that I won't be calling her Stacey. Not when she's hearing me, anyway.

"Oh, that's great! Anyway, feel at home okay? H'wag kang mahiya. Dahil kaibigan ka ng anak ko, welcome ka dito." Aniya.

Muli kong tiningnan si Garett ngunit abala na ito ngayon sa pagtulong kay Marissa para magunpack ng mga pinamali. It seems like Garett feels comfortable here.

Muli kong tiningnan si Stacey. "Sige, thank you po." Sabi ko na lamang.

"Garett, come over later, okay? I'm cooking sinigang na salmon!"

Garett nodded. "Couldn't say no to a sinagang na Salmon." He says before continuing to put the canned goods at the top shelf since he's taller than Marissa.

"Osya, maiwan ko na muna kayo diyan at titingnan ko muna si Klar sa taas." Aniya at muli akong tiningnan. "Maeve, ikaw din, ha? If you're free later, dito ka na rin mag dinner." Aniya bago umalis sa kusina.

I stare at the two who are about to finish arranging the goods. They're both silent but I can see that they are comfortable with each other.

If I was in Marissa's place, I would feel uneasy everytime I hand the canned goods to Garett knowing that our hands will have the potential to keep brushing with each other.