Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I fucked up.

I forgot. How could I fucking forgot that I'm living in a... a world that I don't even know what to fucking call!

Holy shit. I don't know how to recover. I open my mouth, but I just ended up clamping it shut since there's no words coming out.

"Maeve?" It's Garett. I look at him, he was looking at me, too, waiting for my response.

He looks genuinely confused and for a second, I want to tell him everything... how I got here, how strange the people that I am with at the huge house that I am currently living in, and the fact that up until now, I still have no idea of what's going on or what's gonna happen next.

"What pandemic are you talking about? Am I missing something?" He asks.

I can still feel the heat of my own blood on my ears. I breathed in, I breathed out until I finally come up with an excuse- basically, a lie.

"Pandemic," I say with a subtle sigh, hoping that he won't notice. "It's what I call it... You know," I clear my throat. "When you're in the middle of a pandemic, you are not allowed to go out, you're not allowed to talk to people- you're not even allowed to touch them. It's a protocol. All you're allowed to do is to isolate yourself, and that's what I have been feeling... alone... isolated." I say, and even though it was just an excuse for me to cover up for my mistake. It was true.

That's how I have been feeling. Pandemic.

Garett shot me a look with both concern and sympathy. But before he could even asked me what's going on or what I am dealing with life I cut it off by saying, "So that's why I called it Pandemic." I say, forcing a laugh that sounded so awkward.

"It's a pandemic and all the things that you've been dealing inside is the virus," he fills in.

"Exactly!" I beamed, pointing a finger.

His brows twitched. "And that pandemic drove you to... date?"

I crinkle my nose. "Not date, exactly. Flirt."

"From men across the country?" He shove his hands inside his pocket, and then looking down he gently kicked the sand.

I nod, even if he's not looking at me. "Yeah, we have all ways of coping up. Don't judge me."

He looks at me. "I'm not judging you." He says. "But why flirt from men across the country when you could have just flirted with men here?" He asks, his brows furrowing.

I snort. "I don't like men here and again, don't judge me." I look at him, wide eye.

He laughs. "That's okay, it's called preference."

"Exactly!" I beamed, feeling relieved that he gets it. "Because the last time I told that to someone, I got called racist." I roll my eyes.

Again, he chuckles. Low, sexy, damn.

"Ano ba 'yung mga preferences mo?" He asks.

"Well, I want tall, handsome guys, with blue eyes... I want to have kids with blue eyes, too." I say and then I earn a smirk from him... and that's when I realized that he got the deepest blue eyes!

Flushing, I say, "I didn't mean you! I mean, in general, you know..." I stop and blushed even harder when he grinned wider.

"I didn't say you're pertaining to me. Your description is very much in general," he says. So it's my fault. It is completely my fault.