Chapter 4- Begin

~Namjoon~

"I had a what?" Aera asked me, her body still trembling as I held her. "A panic attack?"

"Yes it seems so," I said, my chest tightening with sadness as I wiped away a tear that had fallen.

"I...I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

"Hey," I interrupted, "don't apologize. You couldn't help it. Sometimes these things happen, especially with victims of domestic violence."

"But nothing like this has ever happened to me before," she said. "In fact besides the dreams I've been really happy lately. Things have been going so great , I leased a new building today, and you finally asked me on a date. Why did this have to happen now?"

"Well if I had to guess it's probably because of what just happened between us," I suggested. "I'm guessing this was your first time with anyone since you left him, am I right?"

She nodded and looked down at her hands as she wrung them together nervously. "Namjoon I'm so sorry."

"Aera, don't apologize, what happened isn't your fault at all," I said.

"But I ruined the night," she said sadly. "You made this whole evening perfect and just now...you were so...I ruined everything." Her shoulders shook as she started to cry and I pulled her into my arms, embracing her.

"You didn't ruin anything, princess," I said softly as I held her close and gently kissed the top of her head.

"I'm so messed up," she cried into my chest, her tears hitting my bare skin. "I finally get to be in your arms and I have a flashback of...of..." Aera started shaking and I held her tighter.

"Shh," I whispered, massaging her back. "You don't have to talk about it, okay? Whatever you thought of was obviously painful to remember so let's focus on something else."

"Like what?" she asked, looking up into my eyes. She still had tears coming down her cheeks and her eyes were red and watery but she still looked so beautiful. I wanted to distract her and take her mind off whatever awful memory triggered her attack so I thought of the first thing that popped in my mind.

"Have you read any good books lately?" I asked her.

She blinked at me a few times before a tiny hint of a smile spread across her lips. "You want to talk about books?"

"Well we can talk about something else. Anything else," I said, desperate to make her feel better. It was heartbreaking seeing her like this and all I wanted to do was make it better for her. "I just want to take your mind off the bad stuff."

Aera bit her bottom lip and for a moment seemed lost in thought before she looked at me timidly and asked, "Can I ask you for a favor?"

"Sure you can, ask me anything," I replied.

"I know this may seem odd to ask, especially after what just happened, but would you be willing to stay with me? Just for tonight?"

"Um, sure if that's what you want."

"I just don't want to be alone. Not after this," she said quietly.

"I completely understand. I can sleep on the couch," I answered.

"Actually...can you stay with me? In my bed I mean?" she asked timidly.

"Your bed? Are you sure?"

She nodded and said, "Yes. I know that might seem weird given what just happened but...I don't know. I'm starting to feel better and it's because of you. You make me feel so safe."