Chapter 7-Get Away

~Aera~

Three days...it had taken three days for the jury to deliberate and decide HyunKi's fate. In a perfect world he'd have already been locked up and had the key thrown into the deepest sea on the planet. However, since he was from a wealthy respected family, his lawyers had done their best to poke holes in my testimony and made it look like I had driven him to his breaking point when he abducted me. I was portrayed as a mentally unstable sociopath that drove him to near madness and that the night he abducted Sunni and I was all my fault.

Hoseok on the other hand...thank god for him. He really was one of the most brilliant men I'd ever known and used his intelligence along with his determination to cut down every statement and accusation Ki's legal team tried to throw at the case. As nervous as I was to hear if he was going to walk free or not, I did have hope that he'd pay for what he did after Hoseok's brilliant legal strategies on top of his closing arguments. No matter what the outcome would be I was very lucky and blessed to have a man like Jung Hoseok on my side.

As soon as Hoseok called me to say the jury had reached a verdict, I immediately dropped what I was doing and rushed to call Namjoon. I wanted to be there for the sentencing and I knew I couldn't face it alone. Thankfully he wasn't scheduled for any procedures that day so he was able to meet me at the courthouse. Jungkook and Sunni arrived shortly after we did after dropping little Ji off with Emmie and Jin for the afternoon. Once we were seated together and HyunKi had been brought back into the courtroom, we all stood as the judge entered to read the verdict.

My hands were so clammy and I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I felt Namjoon take my hand in his. "Hey, listen to me," he said and I looked at him. "Whatever happens today, no matter what the jury decided, I'm here and you're safe, okay?"

I squeezed his hand and smiled weakly at him, replying with, "I'm always safe with you but thank you for reminding me. I love you."

"I love you too Aera," he said softly and pressed a feather light kiss on my forehead before turning back to the judge. I felt Sunni take my other hand and we looked at each other, remembrance of our past trauma at Ki's hands in our minds, and she squeezed my hand and nodded at me nervously. Jungkook, Namjoon, Sunni, and I had all been through a lot that night but no one really could understand what I'd truly been through except for Sunni because we'd went through it together.

I blew out a nervous breath as the jury announced they'd reached a verdict and the bailiff handed it to the judge. As he began reading the charges I felt nauseated. I clearly knew what Ki was on trial for having gone through it myself but hearing them read out loud made my stomach turn. Aggravated assault, abduction, assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder...to know I'd lived with a man capable of these things for years was bone chilling.

I was still holding Namjoon and Sunni's hands when the verdict was read...guilty on all charges. I felt an enormous weight lift off my shoulder, and I immediately burst into tears and collapsed into Namjoon's arms. He wrapped them around me and held me as I cried tears of relief. I felt Sunni and Jungkook hug me from behind as the judge said HyunKi that he would be appearing in court again in a week for sentencing.

I looked up at Namjoon and saw he was smiling as I wiped the tears from my face. Guilty on all charges...he'd never be able to hurt me again. After six years of torture and one year of uncertainty I was finally free of HyunKi. He would truly never be able to hurt me again...I was finally safe.

Namjoon kissed my forehead again and said, "I told you it would be a slam dunk," and I smiled as I hugged him.

"I can't believe this is fin-"