Chapter 6- Face Off

*Author Note-TRIGGER WARNING/MATURE CONTENT! This chapter contains strong sexual content/discussions of non-consensual sex/domestic abuse. Read at your own risk.*

~Namjoon~

One Month Later

"How do I look?" Aera asked me, smoothing out her skirt. "Do I look okay?" She was wearing a simple black pencil skirt with a matching blazer and a cream silk blouse underneath. She looked almost as if she were a powerful executive, not a professional caterer.

"You look beautiful," I said to her, wrapping my arms around her waist from behind and kissing her cheek before I rested my chin on her head.

"Not too nice though, right?" she asked. "I'm taking the witness stand today and this is the first time I'll be in a room with HyunKi in over a year. Knowing him and the lawyers his family hired they'll use anything to discredit me."

"Aera, sweetheart, you look great. Very confident," I told her as I spun her around to face me. "Your outfit definitely makes a statement in a good way. You look ready."

"Are you sure you're not just saying that because you're my boyfriend and you just want to make me feel better?"

"You know I'd never tell you something that wasn't true," I replied. "I know you're nervous and you have every right to be but I'm telling you that you shouldn't be apprehensive about this. You look great and with Hoseok and his firm representing you today is going to be a slam dunk, you'll see."

She wrapped her arms around my waist and snuggled into me, saying, "I really hope so. I just can't wait until today is over and I can hopefully finally put Ki and this mess behind me."

"I know baby," I replied as I soothingly stroked her hair. "I'm already so proud of you. A month ago you were scared to even think about today and now look at you. You started therapy, you've worked so hard and come so far and now you're ready to face him."

"Well I owe much of that hard work to my therapist," she said before looking up at me. "Well, her and you."

"Me? I didn't do anything special," I said, smiling at her.

"I'm serious, Joon, I'd never have gotten through this last year without you. I truly feel that I am who I am today because you've been amazing with me. You've been so patient and kind and you've truly become my best friend. You even saved my life that night Ki tried to take me away. I owe my life to you."

"Wow," I said, touched by her words. "Aera, that means a lot to me that you feel that way. You're my best friend too and I'm such a better person from having you in my life. In fact, since we're talking about this, there was something I wanted to say to you before we leave for the courthouse. It's important and I don't think it can wait," I said to her. I felt my palms begin to sweat as I held her.

This was it...I was going to tell her I loved her. I'd known I had deep feelings for her since before we began dating. However the night we finally made love was when I knew for sure that I was head over heels in love with her. I knew the moment she gave her trust to me that I never wanted to be with any other woman. I loved her and she was everything I'd ever dreamed of.

"What's wrong?" she asked me, worry in her expression.

"Nothing's wrong, baby," I said to her reassuringly. "I've just had something on my mind for a while now and I want you to hear it before we leave. Today is no doubt going to be emotional for you so before we go there's something I want you to know."

"Okay, well what is it?" she said.

I took her hands in mine and held them to my chest and I said, "Aera, I'm in love with you."