Chapter 109.

Mason's POV:

Who's idea was a double therapy session again?

"I appreciate her support, of course I do. But..,"

"But what, Mason? This is a safe space." she smiles warmly. I fucking hate this. I really fucking hate this. Safe space my ass.

I sigh. "But I feel suffocated. I love spending my time with Amara, but this is different. She's scared to leave my side."

She looks to me, but I continue looking forward. I feel too guilty to look her in the eye. I seriously fucking hate this.

"Why do you think that is, Amara?" she shifts the conversation to her.

"Because he's not in a good place, I just want to be there." she responds quietly.

Did I mention I fucking hate this?

The therapist nods. "And what do you think will happen if you're not?"

"Nothing. I just want to show him that I love him."

I love you too, Amara. Am I wrong for saying what I said?

Another nod. "He knows you love him, unconditionally, undoubtably," she continues. I do. I really do. "What do you think would happen if you went back to work—got back into your normal routine?"

She doesn't respond.

"This isn't about Mason, Amara." the therapist sighs, tilting her head.

It's not?

"What? Of course it is. I had never seen him the way he was that night, okay? I just want to be supportive." her words are shaky, just like her hands that grip the fabric on the seat.

She shouldn't have had to see me the way she did.

"Amara," the woman presses.

"No. I think we're done for today." she says, grabbing her coat and walking out.

I follow her to the hallway, struggling to catch up to her. "Do you want me to leave you alone that badly?" she turns, her voice raised. "Do you?"

"Amara, listen,"

"No. If you want me to leave you alone that's fine, Mason, okay? It is. I can." her voice is strained and her eyes glassy.

I place my hand on her arm. "You're shaking like a leaf."

She shakes me off and walks away. I stand there tugging my fingers through my hair, what the hell has this done to her? I pace back and forth wondering whether to call, before deciding to give her space.

I drive home, reaching for my keys and turning to the right—the door is already unlocked. I step inside and look to find Amara curled up on the couch with tear stained cheeks. "I left some stuff here I have to get." she lies, and I nod.

I sit down beside her and place my hand on her leg. "Want to watch a movie?"

She nods and wipes the tears that fall. Amara, what has this done to you?

—————

Amara's POV:

I look over to see that he's fallen asleep. I slide out of the blankets that cover us and make my way to the kitchen, perching myself at the counter. I don't want to be unstable like this, I need to be stable enough to help him. He's the one struggling. I don't understand what's going on. I need to get back to work, to normal, but I can't.