Chapter 81.

I step inside and scan my surroundings. The walls are repainted, carpets have been placed and the furniture is far more modern than ours ever was. My fingers run along the wooden doorway, the little cuts which marked my height as I grew still peeking through—despite the fresh coat of oak paint.

"Come in, take a seat. We can talk." she smiles warmly, motioning for me to follow her.

I walk into what once was the living room I spent most of my time in, and admire the new decor. The house is impeccably tidy, besides the few toys that are spread across the floor; I knew she was a mother. We take a seat on the long angled couch that sits in the corner of the room, and awkwardly sit in silence as I take in my surroundings.

"So, Amara—how long did you live here?" she asks, obviously trying to break the ice.

"For as long as I can remember, really. Up until a couple of years ago. I grew up here." I tell her with a smile.

"I'm sorry for just showing up here, but it was... complicatedly urgent." I sigh, realising how this looks.

"It's not a problem," she chuckles, clasping her hands on her lap. "You said you were looking for something?"

"A letter," I nod. "I know it's a long shot, considering it was so long ago it got here, but it has a lot of... sentimental value."

She raises her brows as though in realisation. "I know exactly what you're talking about," she exhales. "I don't know why I didn't connect the dots sooner."

"You do?"

"Yes. A letter came here addressed to you some time ago now, and I'm positive it's the one you're talking about."

"How so?" I ask.

"Well... I opened it," she sighs with guilt ridden features. "I'm so sorry, I wouldn't usually have done that. But, it had urgent written on the front, and I wondered if it was something important."

"Oh," I nod, unsure what to say. "Did you read it?"

"I did, for the most part," her face falls in sadness. "I don't know who sent it, or what happened, but it brought me to tears. I couldn't stop thinking about it for so long after."

"Really?" my heart pounds. What the hell did it say? Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all.

"Oh, yes. I can only hope you two found your way back to each other. Should I buy a hat?" she jokes, her smile wide.

I sigh. "Not exactly. That letter was really the only thing that could've changed things." my voice quietens, realising how important a scant piece of paper is. Was.

"I'm so sorry," she furrows her brow. "I did try and get it to you, there was a forwarding address left when you moved, and I took it there, but nobody knew anyone named Amara."

"I moved again, after that place, and my mom... had a change of living arrangements, too," I inform her. "Thank you for trying, anyway."

She places her hand on mine. "Amara, I never threw it out."

"What?" my eyes widen. "Why?"

"I don't know, is the simple answer," she shrugs. "It was so heartfelt, so personal—I just didn't have the heart to be the person who threw it in the trash."

"So, you have it?" I ask, my voice less audible than I had expected.

"I do, somewhere around here. I'm sure it's in the attic with our personal files. I'll go look for it, if you're free to hang out here for a while?" her brow raises.

"That would be great. Thank you."

She nods as she exits the room, leaving my heart pounding against my chest. What are the chances that someone would keep something so seemingly pointless for so long? I guess it was a saving grace that she opened my mail, after all. I lean back and look at the familiar, yet so unfamiliar room once more.