Chapter 74.

Mason's POV:

I linger outside of the diner, my second visit here since I came back and it still feels so fucking foreign. Nothings changed, in reality—same paintwork, same decor, same workers for the most part; but it still feels so distant in my memory. I walk inside and spot Jake, not so patiently waiting for him to notice me. Let's hope this goes better than the first time.

I watch his eyes land on me, before they roll into the back of his skull. He scoffs under his breath and barges past me with hostility as he clears away some plates.

"So, still at the diner," I shrug, breaking the silence.

"Get out." he spits, his anger shining through—despite the fact he can't bring himself to look at me.

"Jake, I need to talk to you." I sigh, placing my hands in my jean pockets.

"I don't want to hear shit from you, Mason." he growls lowly, his eyes scanning me momentarily before turning back to the task he pretends to do. Seems to be a common theme around here.

"I need to expla-"

"Explain?" he scoffs, throwing down the rag from his hand. "Nothing you could tell me will ever remove the image of how heartbroken you left that girl. She was fucking destroyed because of you, Mason—and I will never forgive you for hurting her like that."

I clear my throat, "So, you guys are like—close now?"

"Seriously? That's all you have to say in response to what I said? You're exactly the same." he mutters under his breath, his jaw clenching in anger.

"Jake, I just need to expl-"

"And to answer your question, yes," he interrupts with force. "She is my best friend, she has been for the past two years. There is nobody I trust more than Amara. Our whole friend group is tight knitted now, Mason." his fists clench by his sides as he exhales an angry breath.

I furrow my brow, how can I still manage to say all the wrong shit? "Okay." I nod simply.

I consider walking out, leaving it there—but then I remember that I really haven't changed that much, why suck his ass now? "No, you know what?" I begin, taking a deep breath. "I really need to explain, Jake. It's not as fucking black and white as you have it in that head of yours; and I'm going to explain either way."

"Can you get some time off for tonight?" I ask.

He scoffs under his breath, "I don't have to ask for time off, I'm the fucking assistant manager." he spits, shoving past me and walking out of the diner.

I raise my brow and watch him leave, assistant manager, huh. About time, Jacob. I almost smile.

I follow him outside to find him leaning against his car with a brooding expression on his face. He rolls his eyes when he looks at me, taking a breath as if to compose himself.

"I'm guessing you drove here?" he asks, clutching the keys in his hand.

"Yeah."

"Get in your car and follow me back to my place, whatever you have to say better be good." he snaps, climbing into his car.

"Alright, then." I mumble to myself.

I follow him back to a modern, cliché, classy looking apartment. This couldn't be less Jake, is the first thought that comes to my mind. And in the same second I remember that I don't know Jake, anymore. I don't know any of them anymore.

I walk in silence behind him into the spotless apartment, almost so clean that it looks un-lived in. He takes a seat and motions for me to do the same, all be it at the opposite end of the room.