Chapter 71.

I open my eyes to the sun blanketing me through the glass window which I left unveiled from the curtains. I smile to myself, waking up feeling good in myself for the first time in years. I stretch my legs and pad across the floor to the kitchen, pouring myself a glass of cold water.

The ringing of my phone startles me as I speed walk around my bedroom in attempts to find it. I fumble my hand around under my pillow and successfully pull it from between the sheets. My eyes light up when I read who's calling.

"Jess!" I squeal down the line.

"Hey, Mar!" she responds in an equally excited manner, "You sound happy to hear from me."

"I miss you." I whine, perching myself on the edge of my bed.

"Well, luckily for you I called to tell you we're going to dinner tonight."

"We are?" I question.

"We are. All of us."

"Everyone will be busy, Jess." I tell her with a sigh, twirling my hair around my fingertips.

"Oh, really?" she asks with a strung out, mischievous tone. "Well I already called everyone and they're meeting us there at 7."

I smile, despite her being unable to see. "Thank you." I tell her, in awe of the amazing people I've managed to surround myself with.

"Congratulations, Amara. I'm so proud of you," she tells me softly, "I love you, see you later."

"Love you." I grin.

I end the call and get ready for the day ahead with a spring in my step. I'll be busy at the hospital until half-past six, so I need to be fast getting ready. I feel a swarm of excitement in my stomach, and a familiar warmth in my chest. It feels as though everything is falling into place, finally.

As I arrive at the hospital I check my schedule and chuckle, I should really ask her to start paying rent. I make my way into the ward and watch her face light up as she sees me.

"There she is," she smiles her signature mischievous smile.

"Barb, it's been almost a week—that's a record." I tease, pouring her a fresh cup of water.

"You look cheery this morning, sweetheart." she tells me with wide eyes.

"I am." I give her a side smile.

I lean down to her, "I got the promotion in the program." I whisper, barely able to contain my excitement.

She reaches her arms towards me and pulls me into her warm embrace, her hand rubbing my back gently. "That's amazing, my dear—I knew you could do it."

"Thank you, Barb." I sigh in relief, placing my hand on hers.

"I think of you like the granddaughter I never had, you know." she tells me quietly.

"You do?" I ask.

"I do."

My heart warms at her statement. I don't have any grandparents, so the thought alone pulls on my heartstrings. My mom and Carol never had the chance to meet their dad, either; and their mom passed when they were young.

"I'll be at ease knowing you're here permanently," she adds. "It always makes me feel better knowing you're here if I have to come in."

She scoffs, "And you know how often that is, my medical history looks like a tragic novel."

I laugh quietly, shaking my head at her. "I'm glad I can make you feel more at ease."

"I'm getting discharged in a few days," she tells me, watching closely as I wrap the cuff around her arm.