Chapter 99.

Mason's POV:

I walk towards the group of men huddled together over a set of blueprints, I cannot fucking believe I'm here. Working under Steve. There's a place I never thought I'd be—under fucking Steve.

I stand behind them with a raised brow. "Uhm, hello?" I scoff.

Their heads collectively snap around, one of their faces lighting up. "Ah, you must be Mason!"

He motions for me to follow him. "Glad to have you with us, Mason. Do you mind if we call you Loche? We use surnames around here."

"That's fine." I say, but internally cringe. It reminds me of being back in the dorms.

He shows me around, giving me a set of blueprints and a uniform. We're building what they hope to be a new hotel, similar to the one Amara and I stayed in for my birthday. I vaguely remember Amara telling me about the history of that place with Steve and some other guy, but I don't remember well. It's half developed at this point, and looks twice as big as the other—which is really fucking big. No wonder there's so many people on the project.

I spent some time helping build a new warehouse in Italy, although I couldn't exactly put that on my fucking résumé. Good at building illegal warehouses for illegal meetings of illegal groups. Fuck me.

"Miller!" he yells, signalling a 6'5, hairy, scarily large handed man to come over.

"This is Loche, show him the ropes, keep him right," he says as he introduces us.

I look up at him as he smiles down at me, steroids—it must be. That can't be natural. He slaps his hand down on my shoulder and gives it a shake. "Nice to meet you, man."

"Yeah, nice to meet you too."

I have someone to shadow, this really is like starting fucking school all over again. I look down at my phone and realise I have a text from Amara.

*Good luck on your first day at work. Don't get in any fights. You'll do great.*

I chuckle as I read it, it's like being given a warning from my mom. My really hot mom. I scrunch up my nose, bad image. Not what I meant.

*Thanks. I'll try my best.*

Amara's POV:

The ringing of my phone makes my head snap up, I'm disoriented and I could have sworn it was music that was playing in my dream.

"Hello?" I mumble.

"Tell me you didn't forget." my mom groans frustratedly over the phone.

I sit upright and stare at my calendar, my eyes widening. Fuck. "No, No!" I lie, jumping out of bed. I balance my phone between my ear and shoulder as I grab a pair of pants from my dresser, frantically pulling them on my legs. "Of course I didn't!"

"So, where are you?"

"I'm driving," I say loud enough to avoid her hearing the silence and lack of traffic in the background. "You know, I shouldn't be talking and driving so I better go."

I hang up the phone. "Fuck!" I groan. It's the day my mom gets out, she gets to come home today. She's staying with me until her place is ready to be moved into—it's a small two bedroom apartment in the city. She only needs one, but she insisted on having two, in case Izzy or Dahlia ever want to stay over.

I run my fingers through my hair and get in my car. I can't believe I slept in. I've been working nights at the hospital and sleeping all day, Mason and I have barely seen each other—he's been stopping by now and again, but I can barely hold a conversation without dozing off.