Chapter 93.

8:45pm:

We lay there, in the middle of Matt's living room—on the floor, staring up at the ceiling. I don't know how much we've had, but we're pretty drunk. Drunk enough to be here on the floor and not question it. Somehow, we always end up on the floor.

"He's just so... nice," he says. "Like, he's so genuinely nice, Mar."

"That's amazing."

"He's so caring, attentive—the most amazing listener. Everything about him is just perfect." he goes on as he tells me more about Jackson. We've had time to catch up. He filled me in on how they met, what happened and when. He told me about the work drama and everything else in life. And of course, I told him about all things Mason.

"Matt, you really like him," I smile, gazing up to the ceiling. "What's holding you back?"

"I'm just scared to trust him, Mar. My mind just goes back to Jack every time I try and let him in."

"You can't let Jack win forever, Matt. You have to take the chance, he sounds like he's worth the risk." I say.

"I know."

"You really like him, right?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"I do."

I sigh. "Then don't wait."

I take a sip of the cocktail Matt made from my spot on the floor through an extra long straw he found in his cabinet. The more I drink, the more I think.

1 hour later...

One hour passes and so does several glasses of homemade cocktails, and our second bottle of champagne. We moved spots, and are now sitting on the kitchen floor against the island in the centre, passing the bottle between the two—we lost the energy for using a glass around twenty minutes ago.

My head is fuzzy, my thoughts are pouring and my feelings are heightened. I hiccup to myself as I try to keep my head up and against the marble we're propped up against. I'm drunk. I'm really, really drunk.

Matt hands me the bottle and I take a large drink. "Matt," I sigh.

"Mhm?"

"I don't know what I feel for Mason..." I mumble, making him turn his head to face me.

"But I..," I pause and look at him. "I feel something."

He smiles and pulls me into a hug. "That's the first time you've admitted it, Amara." he slurs with pride.

I pull back and hand him the bottle, leaning back against the surface. "I didn't know it, not for sure. Until last night. Until today," I ramble, my head spinning. "I don't know what I feel, I don't know how I feel... but I know that I feel."

He sighs and hands me the champagne. "Drink. You need this more than I do."

——————

Mason's POV:

I watch as Jake's car pulls up. Waiting outside his house, I think I've hit a new fucking low. He jumps slightly when he notices me. "How long have you been there?" he groans.

"I don't know," I say, checking my watch. "Twenty minutes or something."

He sighs. "What are you doing here?"