Chapter 88.

[This chapter contains descriptions of trauma/injuries which may in some cases be triggering.]

One week later—

"He'll be here." I press, clasping my hands impatiently in front of me.

I try to ignore the looks my friends exchange between one another at the table we wait around. "Baby, I think after he caught you and your ex in early morning hours, it's not likely." Matt tells me pitifully.

"It wasn't what it looked like, it couldn't have been further from it," I exclaim frustratedly. "He was probably picturing hot angry make-up sex while I was pathetically wrapped in a sad blanket taco while Mason watched me sleep."

"Aw, Mar." Jess chuckles, reaching her hand across the table to reach mine.

My phone buzzes on the table, it's a text from Mason.

*Hey, I think I found an apartment. Pretty nice besides the strange neighbour lady. No more hotel.*

I smile at the text, it's about time he got out of that place and found a real apartment. I know he didn't want to use the money he got in Italy, so he used what little spendings he has until he can start Steve's job.

I check my watch. 7:58pm, he's an hour late. "He really isn't coming, is he?" I sigh. I should've expected this, it was bound to happen. "Alright, lets just eat."

Dinner is as it always is, the highlight of all of our months. The time we reserve for each other out of our busy schedules where we all get to be together. But it felt empty without Elijah, we've never had one without him. We decided to make both him and Mason a 'no discuss' zone. It was easier that way.

By the time we have to leave it's an hour later than usual and we're all tired, when the hell did we grow up?

"See you." I smile as I'm squeezed into Matt's arms.

"Do you want me to stay over tonight? I know it's tough." he smiles, holding me at arms length.

"No, it's okay," I nod. "Thank you, though. I love you."

"I love you more, sugar."

With a quick kiss on the cheek he makes his way out into what appears to be a new car. I pout as I realise we haven't had as much time to talk, gossip and whine since I moved to the new wing of the hospital. I need to change that.

The drive home leaves me a dangerous amount of time to think about tonight, and Elijah not showing up. But instead of being sad, I get mad. Not what I expected, but it gives me a surprising bout of strength. As I arrive home I pull out my phone and dial his number—of course, to be sent to answering machine. No problem.

"Hey, I'm just calling because you didn't show up to our friends dinner tonight. I know what you seen must have hurt, and been very confusing—but it really wasn't what it looked like, and you would know that if you answered any of my calls or gave me a second to explain."  I begin, plopping myself down onto the couch and making myself comfortable.

"Mason wasn't here for any compromising reason you may have imagined in your head, he was here because I had a nightmare—a bad one. The worst I've had in a very long time and I was terrified to go back to sleep alone. I am sorry about how it looked but I am not sorry that he was there because it helped me get through the night."