Prologue | 61.

eternity
/ɪˈːnɪti,iːˈːnɪti/
noun
Infinite or unending time.
"Their love was sealed for eternity"

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

It's not hard to find the beauty in eternity when you have a soulmate to share it with.

That's the beauty in it—a forever promise with the person you love; the one who has deep rooted residence in your heart.
When you have the one; eternity is beautiful. It's captivating, and it's everything you could ever possibly imagine.
But when that person is suddenly gone, and the promise ceases to exist; eternity is simply—unbearable.

——————————

2 years, five months later.
(January 4th)

"Where do you want me to put the light?" he yells from the hallway.

"In the bedroom, beside the closet!" I reply breathlessly, wiping my forehead with the back of my hand.

I unpack yet another box of clothes, folding them into a pile neatly on the new marble counter—it's never ending; the move is beginning to seem like more hassle than it's worth.

"That looks like hard work you're doing there, Mar." he chuckles, leaning against the doorway; his contagious smile immediately lighting up the room.

"I'll have you know it's very tiresome." I shrug, scrunching up my nose.

How I've missed him.

"Oh, is that so?" he raises his brow smugly, wiping the excess paint onto his shirt.

"Uh huh,"

"I see how it is," he grins, striding towards me and picking me up off of the floor—throwing me onto the couch with one sweep.

"Stop, you're getting it all over me!" I laugh as I kick my legs.

"I am?" he questions smugly, moving his paint covered hands down my cheek. "Oops, my bad."

I gasp as he picks me up, throwing me over his shoulder, "Time to help me paint and stop pretending to unpack boxes," he laughs playfully; finding himself so utterly amusing.

I kick my legs against his chest in protest as he carries me into the opposite room, the fumes of the fresh coat of white paint immediately overwhelming my senses.

"You're such a pain in the ass," he grins, placing me down and kissing my forehead.

"I'm a pretty loveable pain in the ass, though—right?" I smirk, poking his chest playfully.

"I missed you." he smiles, placing his hand on my cheek, his thumb gently grazing my lips.

I smile up at him with sheer adoration as I feel cheerful again for the first time in weeks, today is one of the better days. I wipe the excess paint from his cheek, perching myself up on my toes and bringing his lips to mine.

"I missed you too, Elijah."

—————————