Chapter 86.

Becca and I arranged to have dinner at Jake's place, something to both pass the time and also check in to make sure he's okay. When we got there, we found that his little sister had decided to join us, too. It was a nice surprise, we don't see Ava often anymore now that she's growing up, but when we do—it's never quiet. Becca and I sit opposite Jake and his sister on the L shaped couch he loves so much and catch up.

I check my watch and realise it's almost time to eat, and judging by the mouth watering smell that's emanating from his kitchen, the food is almost ready. Jake is an amazing cook, he sells himself short.

"I know, I know," I scrunch up my nose. "I need to learn to think before I speak."

"At least you're not as bad as Jake's girlfriend." Ava rolls her eyes.

I raise my brow in her direction. "You don't like Angel, either?" I ask. Intriguing.

"Are you kidding?" she scoffs, grabbing a pillow from beside her and placing it on her lap.

I let out a laugh. "I heard you beat her up," she smirks, tapping her fingers on the edge of the pillow. "This is why you're my favorite."

"Hey!" Becca scoffs offendedly.

"I didn't beat her up," I correct her, trying to think how to word this. "It was just... an altercation." my voice grows higher. Not the best example for the younger generation, Amara.

"Nice." she grins.

"Ava, stop it." Jake snaps, his eyes flickering between her and I.

"Sorry." she apologises, before sending a not-so discrete wink our way.

The door clicks open and Mason's voice fills the hallway outside of the room. "He literally never knocks," Jake sighs, pressing his finger tips to his temple.

As he walks into the room a collective gasp escapes all of us, our eyes clinging to the bruised eye and burst lip he has. I make my way over to him to get a closer look, examining the wounds gently. "What the hell happened?!" I ask.

He winces as my fingers connect with the bruise. "It's nothing," he groans, lowering my hand. "Just some drunk on the street."

"Jeez, I don't even want to think about what he must look like right now." Jake takes in a sharp breath, a wide eyed expression on his face.

"Yeah." Mason sighs.

I slap him on the arm with a knitted brow. "Uhm, ow!" he scoffs. "What the hell was that for?"

"Whatever happened, you probably provoked him." I smirk.

He goes to object, but then stops himself and takes a deep breath. "Whatever." he rolls his eyes.

"She's probably right." Ava laughs.

Mason's eyes move to her and he crosses his arms. "Shut up, peanut."

"Stop calling me that!" she whines with a scowl.

"Peanut?" Becca furrows her brow, asking the question on both of our minds. Mason isn't one for nicknames, never has been.

"Yeah, when she was younger her head used to be shaped like a peanut."

I flash him a glare which only makes the smirk on his face grow. Of course, unless they're offensive nicknames. "Mason, don't be a dick." I groan.

"That's it," he holds up his hand. "Put a dollar in the swear jar."

"The what?"

"You've been swearing so much more than you used to." he wags his finger in my face like a father telling off his child.