Chapter 78.

I poke my head into the room and walk inside. "Hi," I chime as I clock Matt.

"What are you doing here? Isn't it your day off?" he chuckles, turning his attention back to his patient.

"Yes," I sigh. "I have nothing to do, Matt. My days off are going to end me."

"Hang out with your boyfriend." he laughs.

"He's at work!"

"That sucks," he smirks. Screw you, Matt.

"So," I smile, flashing him my best puppy dog eyes. "Can I have one of your patients?"

"No!" he scoffs, sending me a glare. "They're mine. It's your day off, and you're above me now—remember?"

I smile at the patient, "Oh come on, you'd want me to be your doctor today, right—" I squint at his chart. "—Mr. Hawkins?"

"Sure, you seem like a sweet girl." he nods, earning a look that could kill from Matt.

"No!" he groans.

"Matttttt!" I whine, drawing out his name.

"No! You're a hospitalaholic, now go home!" he grunts, flicking my shoulder.

"Elijah wants me to go see Mason later." I blurt out, making him stop in his tracks.

"What?" he gapes, placing down the instruments he was holding.

"Him and my mom both, actually. To know where I stand, get an explanation." I explain, twiddling my thumbs.

"Are you going to?" he asks.

"I don't know."

"So instead you're hanging over me?" he raises his brow.

"Yes, exactly."

He sighs, "Baby, if you want to see him, do it. And if you're not ready yet, don't. It's your decision not theirs."

"I know. I do need to, though—it's just scary." I mumble.

"I know, but you can do it," he smiles, nudging my shoulder. "And afterwards you can come over to my place and scream about it."

I chuckle as he places a kiss on my cheek. He turns back to his patient who is giving us both a disgusted stare. "Didn't you say she has a boyfriend?" he asks in shock.

"I'm gay. Gay as gay can be." Matt responds nonchalantly.

"Oh... okay."

I chuckle, wrapping my arms around him from behind. "Bye, I love you." I mumble.

"Now let me get back to my patient, you hogger." he taunts.

"Fine!" I groan, flipping him off on my way out.

I perch myself on the wall outside of the hospital, my phone in my hand. I stare at the open chat in front of me, my heart racing without even clicking a button.

*Amara, please, I just need to talk to you.*

*You can't ignore me forever, Amara. I can't keep texting you forever. Please.*

*It's been almost three weeks, I know I hurt you—everyone loves to tell me how much I hurt you, but I need to see you. We need to talk.*

*It's that time of day again. You know, the one where I text you even though I never get a reply? It's grown to be my favorite time of day. Please, talk to me.*

I sink down a little and scrub my hand over my face. I replay Elijah's words in my head on a loop, I need the encouragement. My finger hovers above the letters, just type something, Amara. Anything.