Chapter 98.

Amara's POV:

Almost immediately after entering the hospital, I notice Julie swiftly approaching me. You can never tell the severity of the discussion, because she always looks pissed. I pretend I don't notice her for as long as humanly possible, before she taps me on the shoulder. "Woods, let's have a talk."

I nod and follow her into a room, never a strong start. "What do you have to talk to me about?" I ask cautiously.

"Have you thought any more into specialising in trauma?" she asks with raised brows. This is the second time she has approached me with the subject, and I just don't know. "Have you considered it? You're exactly what we look for."

"I don't know... it's a big decision."

"You could start off slow, half days on trauma and the rest where you would usually be scheduled on that day." she suggests.

"It's a big change. I already changed to doing so much more than I would usually be doing in residency—which, I adore by the way, I appreciate the opportunity," I ramble. "I just don't know if I'm cut out for trauma, and just trauma. You know?"

"Woods-"

I unintentionally cut her off as I continue to ramble. "There's just always so much to know; and you have to be more than perfect and I just don't know if I have what it takes to be specifically a trauma-"

"Woods," she sighs. "I'm not asking for a decision today. Just test it out when you're ready. You'll find your speciality along the way, I just noticed you excel in that area. In acting fast, problem solving—having just the right amount of impulsiveness for the job."

I nod. "I'll think about it."

"Alright, now get to work. Your interns were sitting around with their fingers up their ass."

I sigh. Great. I'm scheduled to be in the ER today—depending on the magnitude of the incomings, we'll see how this is set to be. Nights in the ER are, for the majority, drunken accidents. Especially on weekends. But no matter how many come in, or more so—how many don't; we never say the forbidden Q word. It's like a curse.

Two hours into my shift a man comes in, while I'm working on someone else. I listen as they speak; good old pencil through the hand. As far as they can tell, it hasn't touched any nerves. I hear one of my interns with the patient and decide to check it out. As I take off my gloves and make my way over my eyes widen as I look at the man on the bed. Jack.

I haven't seen him since everything happened. He ran away like the coward he is when everything came to light about what he did to Jess and Matt. I can't help but find a little pleasure in this.

"I'll take this." I say as they pull the curtain around him.

"Please let me, Doctor Woods. That is so cool." one of my interns whispers.

"Mendez, I'll take this one."

I pull open the curtain and close it around us, taking a seat. His eyes nearly pop out of his head when they meet mine. "Jack," I smile. "Lovely to see you again."

"Amara, you're... what? A doctor now?"

"It's Doctor Woods, thank you." I correct him with such an intense tone of fuck you.

"So," I shrug, looking at his hand. "How did this happen? Doesn't look like an accident."

He sighs. "Just playing around."

"I see," I nod, taking a closer look. Joking around my ass—probably another angry girlfriend. Or boyfriend. But I'm being professional. You know, like the last time I seen him I didn't punch him in his smug little face. "Well, we're going to have to take an X-ray to make sure that isn't compromising any bones or nerves—hopefully it's just a flesh wound."