Chapter 77.

My first day in the new wing of the hospital begins with me clocking in late. I throw my coffee in the trash and look at my schedule for today—it's pretty empty, but Julie already warned me about that. I'm in the busiest wing of the whole building, my schedule will be over run by the second hour.

I gasp as I walk directly into someone, my eyes lifting to see a timid looking woman with her stethoscope poking out of her scrubs. "I'm so sorry!" she rambles, brushing herself off.

"You should have that around your neck, you know," I tell her with a raised brow. She nods and does what I say, stepping out of the way.

I shake it off and make my way to the first stop on my morning rounds, hearing the patter or feet behind me. I stop and turn around, to see the same woman, along with two others staring directly at me. I furrow my brow and wait for their eyes to peel from me, but they don't.

"Weird..." I mumble. I continue my walk and hear the same patter of feet, with muffled whispers edging closer.

I turn on my heel again and look at them with a confused expression. "Why are you following me around like a litter of lost puppies?" I ask, crossing my arms against my chest.

I watch them exchange a nervous look amongst themselves. "Well?" I shrug.

"Uh... we're... your interns." the one in the middle mumbles, adjusting the glasses on her face.

I look at them with a blank expression, "My what?"

"Your... interns, Doctor Woods." she repeats, clearing her throat.

I stare at the three in front of me, their charts clutched against their chests and a nervous look in their eyes. "Can you, uhm, give me a minute?"

"Yes, of course." she nods.

I page Julie and navigate my way to where she should be at this hour. My interns? My what? Clearly there's some mistake.

"You paged?" Julie's consistently intimidating voice echos from behind.

I enter the room she's standing in, watching her look at me with a disinterested glare. "There are three doe eyed infants in lab coats following me around like ducklings would their mother," I scoff.

She shakes her head, "I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess you're referring to your interns, Doctor Woods?" her brow raises.

"I have interns?" I gape. I did not sign up for this. I did not sign up for it.

"Yes, that's part of the job. I assumed you had been made aware of that." she sighs, leaning on the desk to her right.

"No, no I was not aware of that!" I say with panic, "I'm not a good teacher, that's why I didn't become a teacher—because I can't teach!"

She chuckles under her breath, "Woods, just let them watch you; ask them questions, make them help you when necessary and for the love of god don't give them too much responsibility because they are not ready."

I nod my head nervously. Okay, I can do this—right? They can take notes and just watch what I do. Follow me around. "Okay, okay," I continue nodding my head. "Yeah, thats—fine."

I turn on my heel to walk away before stopping and slowly making my way back. "So they just follow me around, like... all day?" I ask.

"Yep."

"Okay, great." I nod, internally screaming.

After a few steps I turn myself back around again. "When this goes wrong just know I told you I'm not a good teacher." I stutter.