Chapter 102.

Amara's POV:

I reach for the flour, placing it on the counter before a progressive cry echoes from my spare bedroom. "I'll start the pancakes, you get Dahlia." Mason sighs.

"Alright."

I open the door and take a seat on the bed where Dahlia sits with teary eyes. I open my arms and allow her to climb into my lap, where she rests her head on my chest. "Bad dream, baby?" I ask as I run my fingers through her hair, rocking her back and forth.

"Mhm." she mumbles.

"Those suck," I whisper. "But you're safe, you're with me."

Just be thankful you weren't awake ten minutes ago, Dahlia. I think to myself.

"Guess what?" I ask as I hold her at arms length. "We're having pancakes."

Her eyes light up and she flashes me a wide grin, kicking her legs in excitement. "Come on then." I chuckle, carrying her on my hip into the kitchen.

As I walk inside I see Izzy sitting on the edge of the counter, bowl in hand as she mixes the pancake batter—with Mason standing in front giving her a helping hand. I can't help but smile. How crazy things can be.

I place Dahlia on a seat at the counter, catching the attention of them both. "Mar, your turn!" she calls.

I take Mason's place and furrow my brow at the watery mixture in the bowl. "I think we need a little more flour." I chuckle, knowing Mason's baking skills are probably less advanced than Isabella's. Just as I reach for the bag of flour, Izzy hits the edge of the bowl by accident—sending the runny mixture pouring all over herself and me as she tries to catch it.

"Oh, shit!" I gasp, watching as it trickles down her hair and body, scraping the excess from my face.

"Mara, pee!" Dahlia yells, smacking her hands on the counter.

She's toilet training, and this means we have a very small window to get her there. "Shit!" I repeat at the chaos.

"Mason, Dahlia!" I point, while holding Izzy above the ground and trying to avoid any more batter spilling.

"What?!" he gapes frantically. "What do I do?!"

"Take her to the bathroom! Quick, just hold her over!" I instruct desperately, my arms becoming sore.

"Oh, god!" he groans, scooping her up and running to the bathroom. "Oh, god. Oh, god!"

I hold Izzy against my stomach with one hand and shuffle to the bathroom behind him, watching as he frantically tries to undo her diaper.

"Oh god, oh god!" he mumbles in panic.

"Peel the straps, Mason! Peel the straps!" I yell.

The diaper finally falls and he holds her above the toilet just in time, and then—she does it. We both sigh in relief.

I start to laugh, uncontrollably. I can't help but wish someone had been there to record the utter chaos that just unfolded. Mason snaps his head to me, still holding Dahlia over the toilet seat. "What?!" he groans nervously.

"Look at us," I laugh. "Look at this."

Mason starts laughing too, shaking his head. Isabella looks to us and begins to laugh, licking the pancake batter from her fingers—and even Dahlia begins to giggle, despite not knowing what's so funny.

I get Isabella and myself cleaned up and changed into clean clothes, and high five Dahlia for her progress. I grab a bottle of water from the fridge as the girls play happily in the living room.