Chapter 8

Miranda Bonham

I waited for Nixon to reply, but he wasn't saying anything- just staring at me intently.

"Answer me. Are you the one after my father?" I asked again.

"Trust me when I say this, you don't want me to answer that," Nixon replied.

"We're going back to the mansion. It was a mistake to let you go," Nixon said, grabbing my arm. I was still thinking about his words, so it was easier to drag me along.

Just as we reached the door, I stopped walking.

"I'm not leaving," I said, standing my ground. Nixon looked at me, raising an eyebrow while tugging on my hand.

"I'm not leaving you here, alone," he stated.

"If it's any consolation to you- even though we are strangers and you shouldn't be worried- my brother is keeping an eye on me," I told him.

My comment seemed to have bothered him more, because he was frowning- looking annoyed.

"I don't need him watching over you. I can take care of you myself."

I rolled my eyes at his random words.

"He's my brother. I think if anyone has the right to say what you just did, it's him," I said, removing my hand from his grip and walking back to the living room.

"Look, you know where I live. If for some reason you need to see me, I'm here," I said, motioning around the room, with my hands.

He looked thoughtful for a moment. I wondered if he was trying to settle in with my words.

"I'm staying here with you."

At first, I thought he was joking. When I saw his serious expression, I shook my head.

"No way, my family checks on me. If they see you here, they'll murder you, and probably me too," I said.