Chapter 24

Miranda Bonham

On the ride to the palace, Preston updated me on everything that was going on back home. When he told me that mom was missing me, my eyes got watery. As much as I wanted to see her, right now she was safer away from me.

Nixon wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pressing me closer to him. The warmth of his body brought comfort to me.

"You'll be able to see her soon," he told me, placing a kiss on my forehead. 

I was praying for him to be right.I was surprised that not once Preston asked about our dad. I was getting prepared to lie to him. 

I wanted him to find out about dad until we were alone, and not in the company of strangers.He didn't ask though.I spent the rest of the time explaining to Preston and Clay what little I knew about The Island. 

Before getting there, Nixon officially made them part of our pack. I had never been so excited to hear Preston's voice in my mind.

"Andy, you've turned into such a princess," was the first thing Preston said through our mind link.

I couldn't help but laugh at his words.

"Oh shut up," I replied, giving him a playful shove.

"Seriously? You're getting violent now? What a royal pain in the ass," he said out loud, grinning at me.

"So the bastard is really a prince," Preston said to me.

Clay, him, and me were in Nixon's room. Nixon had gone to get Preston and Clay's room ready. 

I had asked for Clay and Preston to sleep on the side of the palace where we were at. I wasn't sure how many rooms the palace had, but I knew there were a lot of them. Lisbeth had told me just the palace- without counting all the other building attached or on the outside- there were four wings. 

The wing where Nixon and I were in had seven rooms. Why someone needed all that space was still a mystery to me.Nixon had been reluctant to have them sleeping so close to us, but in the end, he still conceded. 

Right now, he was getting a servant to prepare the rooms. He had one more meeting with his father before wrapping up his day.

I didn't mind. I was just happy to finally have Preston with me. It had only been two days away from him. But, it had been two days full of changes and unexpected events for me. As much as my Wolf and I loved Nixon- we were both missing the familiarity of home.

"He's not so bad," I said, hoping that Preston would see that too.

Clay was sitting down across from Preston and me, on a couch of his own. I was right next to my brother, with my hand tightly holding on to his.