Chapter 40

Miranda Bonham

"This is for the best," King Luther told me.

I had been waiting for Nixon right next to the back door when King Luther stopped by to talk to me. He was telling me why it was right for me to condemn my father. As if.

"Whether that's true or not, he's still be my dad," I replied, my voice sounding harsher than I'd intended.

Nixon had been trying to avoid an encounter between his father and me. He knew I would snap at King Luther. Being the King and Nixon's father, we both knew he wouldn't take that too well.

"Father or not, he deserves to die."

"I guess that's will what happen either way. It's been decided."

"It's been decided because it is the right thing to do," King Luther said, his face starting to show signs of irritation.

"I wouldn't know that, since I have yet to see this proof that apparently exists against my dad," I retorted.

"The proof is there."

"You all keep saying that. Is it so hard to show me? At least then I wouldn't feel like such a traitor for killing my own father."

King Luther took a step towards me after I said that, standing far too close for my comfort. There was a dark look in his eyes, one that unsettled me. 

I almost felt like he wanted to do a lot more than just ball up his fists on his sides.

"I'm your King, Miranda. You do understand that my word is all the proof you need," he said, his breath blowing across my face.

"You weren't my King last month, and Craven has been my father, well, my entire life. Who do you think I believe?" I was trying to keep my voice steady and not break down in front of him.

King Luther was trying to intimidate me and he was doing a good job at that. The only thing keeping me from backing down was that Preston promised he would fix everything very soon.