Chapter 51

Miranda Bonham

While Preston's Wolf was strong, maybe even stronger than dad's Wolf had been, it wasn't enough. We could all clearly tell that Nixon had the upper hand.

Just like I had when Nixon and my dad fought, I tuned out of this one as well. It had been so easy for them to decide to kill each other.I couldn't begin to imagine in what state my mother was in now that my dad was gone. 

She must've felt it, the bond breaking between them. Even though I was trying not to think about the fight, the sound of biting, snapping, and growling kept breaking through my thoughts.

"He has him," Zander said.

I opened my eyes, to see what it was that he meant. Nixon had Preston's neck between his teeth. One bite was all he needed to rip out his throat. One bite that I was certain he was going to take.

But he didn't.

Nixon grabbed Preston by the neck with his teeth and smashed him against the ground. I heard a crack, but nothing compared to what could've happened if Nixon had ripped his throat out.

When Nixon let him go, Preston's unconscious body fell limp to the ground. I quickly ran over to them, ignoring Nixon's Wolf that was trying to get my attention. 

When I knelt next to Preston, I could hear his breathing. It wasn't as strong, but he was alive.I picked up his upper body and rested it over my legs.

"Miranda," Zander said, coming after me.

"I'm fine," I told him, looking down at Preston's sleeping form.

A few tears rolled down my cheeks, and I could see some land over Preston's bare chest. Dad was lying nearby. I didn't approach him though. 

I didn't want to look at him, not with how he looked after the fight with Nixon had ended.

The ground was wet, and the mud was sticking to my legs and the nightgown, which did little to cover me from the cold that had suddenly surrounded us.