Chapter 26

Miranda Bonham

"I'm sorry," I apologized, nuzzling my nose on his neck. I wrapped my arms around him, trying to get his Wolf to calm down.

"We don't have to do this now. I don't want to do it yet- I'm not ready for that," I pleaded.

By this point, tears were unconsciously spilling down my cheeks.

I felt useless, and like a traitor. Neither my Wolf nor me could tell who we were betraying- our dad or our mate.

A sob escaping my body seemed to snap Nixon out of it. He looked down at me, his eyes shifting from black to their emerald green color.

He pulled away from me completely.

Nixon kept staring at me, but he remained quiet.

I wasn't sure if he was bothered by what was about to happen or by my sobbing.

Nixon didn't say anything as he hastily walked away and locked himself in the bathroom.

I quickly backed up, resting myself against the headboard of the bed.

I wasn't sure when I dozed off, but I awoke in the middle of the night. I didn't know what time it was, but it was still dark outside.

My eyes hurt, and they felt swollen from all the crying I'd been doing just hours before.

I touched around the bed, and noticed Nixon wasn't there.

My Wolf was the first to feel his presence in the room. I slowly got off the bed, creeping from one side of the room to the other.

I found him lying down on the couch, which was much too small for his large frame.

I wasn't sure what to do just then. I was partly scared of him- at what he had tried to do. My Wolf though was willing to forgive and forget.

This was our mate and she wanted us to be with him.

I continued staring down at his sleeping form. The rise and fall of his chest was almost hypnotizing to watch. His longish, curly, light brown hair was all over the place. Even while messy, it still looked perfect. I wanted to run my hands through it, but my touch would surely wake him up.

I wasn't ready to face him yet.

I didn't know who was to blame for the night before. He was right. I'd offered myself to him to save my dad. He had kept his side of the bargain, while I'd backed out of mine. It still scared me how close Nixon came to forcing me.

It wouldn't entirely be forcing, since my Wolf hadn't minded- but I wasn't ready to mate.